heylauren

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Hey all,

I've been in this hobby for the past 12 years on and off, probably a total of 6 or 7 years...

When I first got into the hobby, I went to Hanover Pet and bought about 20lbs of liverock for my 12 gallon bowfront nano-tank. That rock was FULL of all sorts of life, from sponges to shrimps to bivalves.

Fast forward a few years, I moved residence so that old tank went the wayside, I decided to get back into the hobby again. So I went to AF and picked up some rock. Overall it wasn't that great, a lot of coralline but nothing else. The tank was running for over 3 years, and never had any sort of mini brittles or other types of starfish. Not even pods until after I seeded it with a donation from a great member here.

Now I'm planning on starting up a tank very soon, and am in the market again for some quantity of rock. I've been searching around and even visited a few LFS' in the area, and the rock they all had is miserable, like nothing living at all, just some porous old coral formations that are selling for 10 bucks a lb.

What ever happened to all the good rock??

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Hobbyists and vendors became "smarter" and realized that dead seeded rock can provide a home for biological filtration comparable to "live" rock. I miss getting stinky rock from the ocean and cycling a tank with it. You never knew what was in wild rock. I remember seeing a 5lb piece of rock wiggle in my tank :) Upon closer inspection I saw one of those fuzzy leg crabs trying to reaquascape. Sometimes whats in the rocks isn't always good I guess.

This is the first time that I started a tank with mostly dead rock and it sucks! I don't recommend it to anyone who want a good looking natural reef. Luckily my buddy has a old 150g with tons of coraline incrusted rock with tons of life. I seeded my rock with a bunch of his rock and I am starting to get all kinds of life now.

Last edited:
Rating - 94.6%
105   6   0
Ahmen sister! I think that the culpurit is the market. I think that some, not all LFS just vat dead rock and seed with coraline and grow their own live rock. I see fiji, etc being sold at higher rates at LFS but there is really no difference. I heard good things about online but the shipping, size ( I prefer larger peices insted of a bunch of smaller peices.) and the idea that I dont know what Im getting keeps me from trying it. I can only tell you to shop far and wide and ask when new shipments are due at LFS and be there bright and early!

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
You can find a few shippers in Florida, that can sell you 'farmed' live rock, direct from the ocean...it has many diff. marine organisms growing on it, but may also have some 'pests'!
Of course, if you're taking your time with set up, you will be able to 'watch' the rock before your reef is complete, and remove what you don't want.

peteyboyny

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
You can find a few shippers in Florida, that can sell you 'farmed' live rock, direct from the ocean...it has many diff. marine organisms growing on it, but may also have some 'pests'!
Of course, if you're taking your time with set up, you will be able to 'watch' the rock before your reef is complete, and remove what you don't want.
+1. I've heard the rock coming out of Florida is awesome!

liverock

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Florida liverock is what you are describing. I have heard good things about Tampa Bay Saltwater liverock( I haven't used them). I have used liverock from Floridaliverock.com 2x before it has lots of life but can also have mantis shrimp. The pictures that he posts really show the life you can get. Last time I ordered from him I ordered the mixed rock(coraline and deco) package.I think it was 60 lbs shipped to airport for pickup next day. I had very little cycle with minimum amount of ammonia. They post their phone # on their website and also answer all emails that I ever sent them usually within one day. If you call them you can tell them what you are looking for and they will try to accomadate you the best they can.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: