MikeC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
213   0   0
Does anyone have a flow meter I can borrow ,rent for a frag,cash?
I hope to be getting a new skimmer within the next week or two.
It will be a SRO3000ext that I would like to feed it off my return pump manifold and I want to make sure I can get 500gph.

Thanks

tomtoothdoc

GOLFER WANNABE
Rating - 100%
390   0   0
i have the sro xp3000ext fed by an eheim 2000 at ~528 gph.
although they are not exactly the same, both skimmers are similar in size and shape with the same recommended feed rate.

on friday when i do my water change, i'll turn off the bubble blaster and measure how far the water level come up the cone and that should give you the approximate rate.

MikeC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
213   0   0
Thanks Edd

i have the sro xp3000ext fed by an eheim 2000 at ~528 gph.
although they are not exactly the same, both skimmers are similar in size and shape with the same recommended feed rate.

on friday when i do my water change, i'll turn off the bubble blaster and measure how far the water level come up the cone and that should give you the approximate rate.

Thanks Tom but I'm not sure that will work for me.
I have a mag drive 2400 for my return pump that is split into a manifold with Johnguest fittings for my reactors so the problem is I need to be able to adjust the ball valve to get 500gph (see photo)
Mag 24 comes up from the sump on the left side the next fitting (red ball valve is what I want to feed my skimmer the next two are the johnguest fittings for the reactors then back up to the tank.
4bcee51b79073d045b5017c5fb595f29_zps8ca99258.jpg

I was kinda hoping someone had one of these
http://www.aquacave.com/Water-Flow-Meter-200-500gph-1-barb-P1681.aspx
Maybe ill just buy it?

tomtoothdoc

GOLFER WANNABE
Rating - 100%
390   0   0
i still think it should work. let me clarify..... the height of the feed water in the skimmer comes up to a certain point when i turn the bubble blaster recirculating pump off....that should represent the flow rate of about 528 gph. suppose the water comes up 10" from the bottom of my skimmer box, you can open your red valve until the water climbs up 10" into the cone section. yes, it's not exact but should be pretty close. and in theory, the feed rate should be about 1.5x your total volume. it is not exactly 500gph. it's just a guildeline.
just my 2 cents.

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
like tom said, i don't think you have to have exact flow. if you want exact flow, you should run it on a separate pump. if you set it with a flow meter, when ever you move any valve, you would have to reset it. you open 1 valve you take from another. jmo

MikeC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
213   0   0
like tom said, i don't think you have to have exact flow. if you want exact flow, you should run it on a separate pump. if you set it with a flow meter, when ever you move any valve, you would have to reset it. you open 1 valve you take from another. jmo

Good point but once you set it?
Then there is the consideration is a seperate pump in best interest with the extra heat & electric?

MikeC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
213   0   0
Mice I have a flow meter that you can borrow but I am in BK. if you work in the city maybe we can meet somewhere.

Thanks pmoney I'm just in the middle of ordering one from Russ at http://www.saltwatercritters.com/ I talked to Russ and he made some cents if I'm only going put it towards limited use and rins it off I should be good.

Thanks again

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: