Lenny718

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
The absolute easiest, no soldering way to get speed control on these are the universal power supplies like this one http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004I5ERUW/?tag=reefs04-20

The Jebao power supply is connected via a computer AC cord, so you just swap this one in instead. You adjust the voltage sliders to control speed, much like you would with a Tunze power supply. If you want much less flow, you slide it down to 15v or so. Since the pump is DC and voltage controlled, it wont damage it and works great. The actual Tunze power supplies work with this too if you already have one.

Doesn't the controller that comes with the pump controll the speed? Or does it just have preset settings like reef, lagoon etc?

d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
Thank you

The absolute easiest, no soldering way to get speed control on these are the universal power supplies like this one http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004I5ERUW/?tag=reefs04-20

The Jebao power supply is connected via a computer AC cord, so you just swap this one in instead. You adjust the voltage sliders to control speed, much like you would with a Tunze power supply. If you want much less flow, you slide it down to 15v or so. Since the pump is DC and voltage controlled, it wont damage it and works great. The actual Tunze power supplies work with this too if you already have one.

bhazard451

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Would a dimmer or rheostat work?

Yes, but the controller board is not designed to handle the rapid PWM voltage dimming a led dimmer would use going into it, and could lead to damage over time. Using the universal power supply for a steady voltage to the controller, or putting a dimmer after the controller board (like in the Apex instructions) is a bit better.

Last edited:

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Not to throw these pumps under the bus or anything but make sure you know what your getting yourself into when buying these pumps. Jebao is supposedly Odyssea under a new name. There have been plenty of companies that came out, had great products and then slowly withered away due to customer service, repair, ect problems. Will this be another one of those companies? I've had my vortechs for 5+ years and they still work like new with some minor repairs. The tunze pumps are as reliable. In the end its all about reliability because you can potentially spend as much or more than a vortech or tunze after buying this pump in repairs/time/new pumps.

The pump is ~100$ and it performs as well as the 250$ pumps out there, so you can always get a 2nd spare just in case the first breaks and save 50$. And yes, you want a 2nd since return shipping for repairs back to china is going to take about 2-3 months. Maybe you want to gamble but if you have a problem with the pump expect to spend another ~200$ on a spare pump while your Jebao gets repaired or you wait for a new one. Or do these pumps have a 1-2 year life span and you need to replace them making the price of these pumps equal to the tunzes/vortechs long term?

The pump looks great, and at 80$ its a great price. Pumps look like a quality pump and everyone on all the forums has only been saying good things. Definitely worth the try if you can afford it not working which is the main factor. Again, its not always about how cheap it is because it can and will cost you in the long run most of the time.

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Not to throw these pumps under the bus or anything but make sure you know what your getting yourself into when buying these pumps. Jebao is supposedly Odyssea under a new name. There have been plenty of companies that came out, had great products and then slowly withered away due to customer service, repair, ect problems. Will this be another one of those companies? I've had my vortechs for 5+ years and they still work like new with some minor repairs. The tunze pumps are as reliable. In the end its all about reliability because you can potentially spend as much or more than a vortech or tunze after buying this pump in repairs/time/new pumps.

The pump is ~100$ and it performs as well as the 250$ pumps out there, so you can always get a 2nd spare just in case the first breaks and save 50$. And yes, you want a 2nd since return shipping for repairs back to china is going to take about 2-3 months. Maybe you want to gamble but if you have a problem with the pump expect to spend another ~200$ on a spare pump while your Jebao gets repaired or you wait for a new one. Or do these pumps have a 1-2 year life span and you need to replace them making the price of these pumps equal to the tunzes/vortechs long term?

The pump looks great, and at 80$ its a great price. Pumps look like a quality pump and everyone on all the forums has only been saying good things. Definitely worth the try if you can afford it not working which is the main factor. Again, its not always about how cheap it is because it can and will cost you in the long run most of the time.

good logic, i just ordered 2 tunze 6105s

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Also, for the time and energy spent getting adapters, working with ardunio's or getting a speed controller set up, ect I don't personally see these pumps as being worth the price. Another thing to take into consideration for the normal user that doesn't want this pump to be a DIY project in itself. I can see this pump taking 5+ hours of my life very easy just ordering, setting it up, getting matching parts, ect. 10+ if i'm custom coding ardunio programs to run the pump in the modes/speeds I want. For someone looking to save a buck this is not very efficient use of time. Spend your time making money instead of saving it with this and you'll make out with some extra $$.

When these pumps are offered in 110v, controller and speed control comparable to tunze's system for even 150$ then these pumps going to be worth it. Tag on some vendors selling and reliably taking care of customer service and bye bye vortech/tunze.

I <3 playing devils advocate =)

Last edited:

Widdy

Vendor
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
Please stick to the topic of this thread that the OP has intended for, and that's to share his experience(s) of this pump. Comparisons of this particular pump was already made in the other thread that was closed.

bhazard451

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0

The problem with what you said, is that none of it is true, and all of it is conjecture. The company that makes this, Jebao, is not the same as Jebo at jeboaquarium.com, and is unrelated to Oddysea. Shipping took 5 days from China to NY, and was only $20.

This thread should to be used to document and review if these pumps and the service ARE actually worth it over time. If they are, they become a great alternative to the Vortech and Tunze. If not, we still have Vortech and Tunze.

I'd hate to see the thread closed. They're working out great for me so far. It would be nice to spread the word on how they do over time, and hear of multiple experiences in different tanks.

peteyboyny

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
This thread should to be used to document and review if these pumps and the service ARE actually worth it over time. If they are, they become a great alternative to the Vortech and Tunze. If not, we still have Vortech and Tunze.

I'd hate to see the thread closed. They're working out great for me so far. It would be nice to spread the word on how they do over time, and hear of multiple experiences in different tanks.
+1. Appreciate the thread. Without threads like this, nobody will know when new equipment comes out that is reliable or not. I'm listening...

lnevo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
Some people like DIY electronics projects.

I'm currently running a tidal simulation custom code on my vortech's using my reef angel. At the end of the day the coding is done and my code could just as easily be used by someone else with these pumps, or down the line I could change to these pumps on a new setup or who knows.

d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
Mods please, please please please delete posts by anyone that is deliberately trying to get this thread closed down.

This a a wp40 feedback thread.

Feedback should be:
Hands on experience, good or bad
hopeful, looking forward to it
informational

It took me 2 minutes to order the pump and adapter and I spend hours browsing online.

If I ever get a tank controller and I want to program anything into it I can just swap the time I kill browsing and spend it settting up.

Bhazard, great job at sharing and making it so simple that a kid a can understand your instructions.

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
Mods please, please please please delete posts by anyone that is deliberately trying to get this thread closed down.

This a a wp40 feedback thread.

Feedback should be:
Hands on experience, good or bad
hopeful, looking forward to it
informational

It took me 2 minutes to order the pump and adapter and I spend hours browsing online.

If I ever get a tank controller and I want to program anything into it I can just swap the time I kill browsing and spend it settting up.

Bhazard, great job at sharing and making it so simple that a kid a can understand your instructions.
You want posts on these pumps good or bad but most posts here are speculating or saying they will try so i guess those should be deleted also. Tosiek is just telling people be aware that this company doesnt have a track record for being a quality salt water pump manufacturer thats all. Just giving people heads up who are new in the hobby. If it were a reliable company in a salt water system many people here on this site would have had something from this company but no one does. Buyer beware thats all. That will be the only post on this thread sorry.

Last edited:

bhazard451

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
You want posts on these pumps good or bad but most posts here are speculating or saying they will try so i guess those should be deleted also. Tosiek is just telling people be aware that this company doesnt have a track record for being a quality salt water pump manufacturer thats all. Just giving people heads up who are new in the hobby. If it were a reliable company in a salt water system many people here on this site would have had something from this company but no one does. Buyer beware thats all. That will be the only post on this thread sorry.

Hence the reason this thread can be really helpful. One person raving about this pump won't do much good in convincing anyone that these push water, or that they will last, but several people on different setups over a long period of time willing to try them out can show if they can work or do last.

The last thing anyone wants is to recommend something that would harm someones tank. If multiple people share, and well trusted, knowledgeable reefers are satisfied and start giving the thumbs up, these might be a good addition to the hobby.

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Please stick to the topic of this thread that the OP has intended for, and that's to share his experience(s) of this pump. Comparisons of this particular pump was already made in the other thread that was closed.

I just restated and expanded a little on exactly what the OP stated in his first post.

I'm not here to cause trouble. I'm simply stating that there can be issues and there should be things to watch for. Nowhere have I compared anything other than time spent and prices. And All I stated were actually to the pumps benefit. I just merely stated a warning for those thinking this is just as good and at 1/4th the price. People don't like to read past the price tag sometimes.

And yes, I might have made a conjecture with the odyssea company comparison. I don't know other than what i've read on 2 different threads elsewhere that stated they were the same but under new ownership. I'm just relaying that information here because its important.

Look, there are multiple products that come out every year. I can link a LED that had the same hype, same price difference, ect and failed miserably. And there is a big difference between getting a product you paid for and trying to get that product repaired. Can anyone ship one over to get repaired to see how bad or good that experience is?

Other than that the pump looks and performs great, especially for the price tag.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: