Euroreefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
So I picked up a Leopard wrasse from Max Reef Friday afternoon. Cute little guy about 3 inches big. As soon as I put him in my tank he shot right into the sand bed and I haven't seen him since then, its been 3 and a half days....:banghead:

Should I go looking for him or did he just burry himself and become bristle worm food? What is your Experience with this fish.

I have a Melanurus happy healthy who burries himself aswell, but not for 3-4 days at a time.

Rating - 100%
164   0   0
My experience was not good. The same thing happened to one I got. It immediately buried itself for about 5 days and when it finally turned up it was thin and weak. It couldn't even swim. It died that same day.

Euroreefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
Thanks Jim, I believe he is called a blue star leopard wrASSE, this sucks. Ill go looking for him today and put him in a container. My Melanurus does not bother anything, but he is an aggressive hunter..non stop hunting, chasing pods, and eats anything during feeding time. Id say small crabs/ snails would be lunch.

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Hm, I had a hoeven's wrasse hide out (at least I never saw him) for like 2 weeks. One day, I was watching tv and BAM he makes an appearance.

He had been fat and happy going in, and then a little less fat, but still happy seeming afterwards.

I wish you luck

Euroreefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
Thanks, if I find him and he looks ok, I might leave him be ...maybe he partied too hard last week:party: and he is taking this week off to sleep...lol.

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
As Jim stated Leopard wrasses are often on a different time schedule when they arrive and it takes a few days to weeks for them to readjust their internal clocks. I bet if you look at the tank late at night or early in the morning you'll see him. Since it has been 3 days I would try to gently rouse him from the sand and see if you can get him eating---also not always the easiest thing with Leopard wrasses.

Domboski

No Coral Here
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
I have a Lennardi wrasse that I still have to wake up every day and its been two weeks. I have another that adjusted to the new light cycle immediately.

Some take longer than others to adjust and you'll have to keep "waking" him until he adjusts.

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
i bought a leopard also on friday from max. same story let him out, shot into rocks, never seen him again. found him dead this morning.
do leapords usually come out? i read they go into sand at night and out all day.

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
I really don't know if this is the case or not with the 2 leopards in question, but from what I know, Max Reef tends to move their stock very quickly because their prices are so good. The lack of adjustment time is really not the best scenario for these types of fishes. They really do better with lots of attention and pampering at the beginning.

LongIslandAndy

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Leopard wrasses are extremely hard to get in good condition. We may get get 10 shipped from Indo and at least 6 die overnight. I have had the most success with the Potter's Leopard from Hawaii. I don't know if its the way they catch the fish or the shorter time it is in the bag. They are a little more expensive but IMO hold up 100% better

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: