midtownman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
so i i finished my 90 gallon set up & i brought my ticket to the swap,so the question is do you this if i start my cycle by friday or so will my tank be ready cycled by swap time? i have about 50lbs of once live but now dry rock and dry reef sand.or would i have to use an accelarater like dr.tim's bacteria.

I think you'll be ok however I would buy another 50lbs of live rock to seed your dead rock and sand rather than using that bacteria accelerator.

And I think what Noel means is that most people lately don't even have the patience to wait a month and somehow things end up working out. So...since you're actually being responsible and considering a full month cycle then you should definitely be ok if you stick to the whole month lol

Last edited:

Zuska

Cherry Collector
Rating - 99.5%
430   2   0
i THIN THE BIGGER YOUR TANK IS THE LONGER IT HAS TO CYCLE. you def need to get more live rock to seed your tank, thats for sure, And maybe some live sand from someones tank. for 90g i would wait 2 months just to be safe.

Rob&Gab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
243   0   0
I think you'll be ok however I would buy another 50lbs of live rock to seed your dead rock and sand rather than using that bacteria accelerator.

And I think what Noel means is that most people lately don't even have the patience to wait a month and somehow things end up working out. So...since you're actually being responsible and considering a full month cycle then you should definitely be ok if you stick to the whole month lol

it worked for us! my tank is now officially cycled after like 5 months of straight adding frags to it every day :P it cycled 2 months ago.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
In the amount of time you have to cycle the tank, all you really need to cycle it is one decent piece of live rock to introduce the bacteria...and then you need to do what you can to encourage it to keep multiplying.

IMO I would avoid the additives as they are primarily nitrifying bacterias, and unless you already have a source of ammonia, you will just end up with a ton of nitrate (for your rocks and sand to adsorb) and throw things out of whack.

Do the raw shrimp thing to raise the ammonia level (unless you have plenty of dead crap in the current rocks).

DO remember that you need to feed the bacteria as it is multiplying! The bacterias that you want to encourage do need to eat! A pinch of flake food every few days will do that for you :)

I would also be sure to be running GFO and carbon already to pull more nonsense out of the rock you have in the tank. Doing so will not inhibit the bacterial growth.

midtownman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
In the amount of time you have to cycle the tank, all you really need to cycle it is one decent piece of live rock to introduce the bacteria...and then you need to do what you can to encourage it to keep multiplying.

IMO I would avoid the additives as they are primarily nitrifying bacterias, and unless you already have a source of ammonia, you will just end up with a ton of nitrate (for your rocks and sand to adsorb) and throw things out of whack.

Do the raw shrimp thing to raise the ammonia level (unless you have plenty of dead crap in the current rocks).

DO remember that you need to feed the bacteria as it is multiplying! The bacterias that you want to encourage do need to eat! A pinch of flake food every few days will do that for you :)

I would also be sure to be running GFO and carbon already to pull more nonsense out of the rock you have in the tank. Doing so will not inhibit the bacterial growth.
thank you kathy i will do the raw shimp & flake food method,also i want to seed my tank with pods before i put fish in should i do that after the cycle?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: