Juggernot55

Renegade Reefer
Rating - 100%
216   0   0
I had a picasso clownfish die the other day, last night my sailfin and today my platinum looks in bad shape. Its not ich but my fish have developed like a white film in certain spots. My platinum has a bare spot now and dont know what it can be. First they start swimming slow then they start struggling to stay up by swimming hard sorry for the crappy pics but can anyone id. Ive checked all my parameters and everything checks out perfect. Slime is on purple tang close to nose and naso by top fin

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByReefs1364421147.533704.jpg
    ImageUploadedByReefs1364421147.533704.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 155
  • ImageUploadedByReefs1364421307.816910.jpg
    ImageUploadedByReefs1364421307.816910.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 151
  • ImageUploadedByReefs1364421417.057081.jpg
    ImageUploadedByReefs1364421417.057081.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 151

Rob&Gab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
243   0   0
noooo ! i have no clue what it could be but i hope everything goes good on your end!. there such nice fish bro. GOOD LUCK i hope all goes well. keep me updated.

Jan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sound like Marine velvet. It moves quickly. Once in the gills the damage is irreversable....it's fatal. Copper was what I used. I lost 19 out of 21 fish within a week when this hit my DT a couple of years ago.

Have you ever had to treat your fish? Do you have a hospital tank set up? Copper is harsh. You cannot use it in a mixed reef. I have a QT and a seperate hospital tank just for treatments with copper and formalin.

I'm so sorry. Hang in there.

Last edited:
Rating - 94.6%
105   6   0
I dont know if this will help but I had a similar problem some time back and nobody could tell me but they did tell me to do a series of fresh water dips. Basically the cell structure of the parisites collapes in the fresh water thereby killing them. The trick is to know how long to "dip" them. I do this even for ick. 30 seconds in fresh water of same temp and back into the salt water. The holding contained was left with the little with spot of the parisites. I did this every day and it worked out. I did not have a hospital tank so it was the only way for me.
I would say that if you do this try it on the least expensive fish you have as dipping for too long can kill.

Jan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just dipped 3 of my fish fish on Monday for possible vibrio; 2 genicanthus angels and a black and white chromis.

What I use:
Methylene blue & two 5 gallon buckets with their own heater and mini powerhead..

Bucket A-I use RO/DI water (FW) in one bucket and bring the temp and PH up to the same #'s that the fish I'm treating came from.
Bucket B-In another bucket use QT water. I usually keep my QT in hyposalinity at 1.010

Treatment
1-I add methylene blue, according to MFR suggestions, to the bucket with FW.
2-I take my fish and add them to the bucket with MB for 3-5 minutes. If they start to freak after 3 mins I take them out, with a seperate net, and place them in the QT water. I do this to each fish.
3- All fish go into QT for observation and possible further treatment depending on what I observe.

This works great for new fish to help with possible bacterial infections, flukes, etc.. I don't know that I would suggest this for Marine velvet. Marine Velvet is a very aggressive disease, which in my opinion, requires rapid treatment with aggressive meds.

This is my female Genicanthus Watanabei with a fast growing ulceration two days ago

IMAG1796_zpse291702b.jpg

This is her today. She was dipped two days ago. It appears as though the ulceration is healing.

73e1fe11-c555-4d9a-b187-128d561d261e_zpsd62e2bbf.jpg

Last edited:

Juggernot55

Renegade Reefer
Rating - 100%
216   0   0
Ok so figured it out, my daughter had played with my doser and turned the alkalinity pump on manual. In one day about a 3/4 gallon was pumped into my system. After 40 gal water change everyone looks happy white film is gone. I guess i need a new test kit because when i tested the alk was on point. Thank god and thank all of you who helped. Ill wait one day and do a thirty gallon change. Rip my lost soldiers.

LongIslandAndy

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
I just dipped 3 of my fish fish on Monday for possible vibrio; 2 genicanthus angels and a black and white chromis.

What I use:
Methylene blue & two 5 gallon buckets with their own heater and mini powerhead..

Bucket A-I use RO/DI water (FW) in one bucket and bring the temp and PH up to the same #'s that the fish I'm treating came from.
Bucket B-In another bucket use QT water. I usually keep my QT in hyposalinity at 1.010

Treatment
1-I add methylene blue, according to MFR suggestions, to the bucket with FW.
2-I take my fish and add them to the bucket with MB for 3-5 minutes. If they start to freak after 3 mins I take them out, with a seperate net, and place them in the QT water. I do this to each fish.
3- All fish go into QT for observation and possible further treatment depending on what I observe.

This works great for new fish to help with possible bacterial infections, flukes, etc.. I don't know that I would suggest this for Marine velvet. Marine Velvet is a very aggressive disease, which in my opinion, requires rapid treatment with aggressive meds.

This is my female Genicanthus Watanabei with a fast growing ulceration two days ago

IMAG1796_zpse291702b.jpg

This is her today. She was dipped two days ago. It appears as though the ulceration is healing.

73e1fe11-c555-4d9a-b187-128d561d261e_zpsd62e2bbf.jpg

Great advice Jan :)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: