• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Oddomatic

Reef Enthusiast
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, So im planning on running a new 22g nano tank with a shallow sand bed @ approximately an inch. My question and concern is the following: The nano tank is an "all in one" type, with the main display in the front being separated from an overflow rear compartment (much like the Innovative Marine Nuvo 16). On my tank, however, The rear chamber was completely crafted of glass. To cover the rear glass chamber, the tank builder also siliconed an 1/8 inch piece of black acrylic to the glass overflow wall. It makes the tank look pretty and all, but they attempted to make the acrylic piece completely adhere to the glass for a water tight seal. So there is an air pocket back there between the glass wall and the acrylic backing. Unfortunately, silicone adheres to acrylic poorly, thus some of the tank water is getting between the thin pocket between the glass and the acrylic sheet. My concern is that since water is getting into that area through an extremely small leak around the bulkhead fitting, a lack of O2 and water circulation could lead to an Anaerobic bacteria pocket later on. The thought of hydrogen sulfide brewing back there makes me a bit uneasy.... Do you guys think that I should be concerned?

Oddomatic

Reef Enthusiast
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I figured. Without detritus as a carbon source, the anaerobic bacteria may never grow, but I was concerned if low level nitrates in the water column could be enough. The more I think about it, the more I think I'm just over reacting.... ; )

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: