• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

MatthewScars

Guns, Razors, Knives.
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
So I was talking to a Fresh Direct delivery guy about reef tanks and he mentioned he had a FOWLR and for some reason now I think I should get one. I am kinda looking for a 125g drilled. Maybe standard size. Anything could change.

I was checking out the Tank Threads and didn't see too many people with FO, or they were very out dated. Who has one and can post some pictures? Interested in fish density, types, and rock work. I was thinking of doing a rock wall again.

I am also thinking about doing a bare bottom, or maybe just egg crate with 1" or less of sand for aesthetics. Thoughts from people that have done this?

hclaveria

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
I have a 75g FOWLR. I have not updated my thread in a bit, mostly because I have been traveling a lot and my upkeep has been less than stellar.

But, that's something of a benefit with FOWLR, it can run with a lot less upkeep than a reef tank. I find that the key is the Protein Skimmer and really good Live Rock. When I started it, I had Bio-Balls and mostly dense coral rock which didnt have the ideal qualities for the biological filtration. I took out the balls and put in better quality rock, did some vodka dosing for about 4 weeks in January and the tank is pristine, algae under control. Do weekly water testing and waste not an issue.

And this is with what many consider a high bioload:

1) Vol Lionfish
2) Chainlink Moray
3) Huma Trigger
4) Mel Wrasse
5) Tomato Clown
6) Porcupine Puffer
7) Yellow Tang now replaced by FoxFace
8) Potter's Angel now replaced by Blue Dot Puffer
9) Bi-color Parrot

I have a relatively deep bed of crushed coral but the wrasse is constantly burying it self or shifting it.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Hector

D1J8Z

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
Most people with FOWLR, just have to have a certain fish or prefer the mentallity of an aggressive tank. Many people choose this route you just don't see them on the forums as much because coral addicts are always looking for that next piece and with a FOWLER you usually have a general direction and then thats it.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: