• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

tomjof

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I got a clam for my 46 gallon tank. It's a crocea clam. I have the proper lighting but I heard they suck up the calcium. I've never tested my water in terms of calcium and alk. I do weekly water changes of 5 gallons. Do you think I would need to dose the tank. I also put the sealab tablets in. I think they are #28

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Testing is important for you to know what elements in the salt are being used up.
I never heard of those Sealab tablets before - so I just did some reading about them - and it seems to me that a good salt mix and water changes will do your tank more of a service than they will (IMO).

What brand of salt mix do you use?

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Many of the salt mixes available are low in either Ca or Alk and often Mg also. So testing is important to know where your parameters are at so you will know what you need to dose. We can definitey help you with that and tell you how to figure out how much you need to dose daily.

But before we get to that, you need to get yourself some test kits (some LFS's will run these tests for you, but not on an on-going basis!)
Salifert are often suggested and you will want to get Calcoum, Alkalinity and Magnesium as well.
If your LFS doesn't carry them, many of our site vendors will ship them to your home :)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: