Status
Not open for further replies.

nyc reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.5%
274   10   0
I bought a used sump made from acrylic which measures 36L x 18H x 15W, I loved the dimensions so I jumped on it. But I forgot one thing, I wont be able to take the skimmer out for cleaning once setup. I was wondering if I could cut the sidewall of the sump approx. 6" this way I can take the skimmer in and out tilted on an angle. The sump has a trim piece around the edge and is 1/4" thick, I think its made by ADHI.

Attachments

• photo (64).JPG
    photo (64).JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 97
  • photo (65).JPG
    photo (65).JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 91
  • photo (66).JPG
    photo (66).JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 89
  • photo (67).JPG
    photo (67).JPG
    106.9 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:

d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
You can cut it but that means you have to keep the water level that much lower, should main pump turn off and you dont have levels in check, you will have water on the floor.

Also, if you cut away 6" in the skimmer section, would you still have enough depth for in sump skimmers to function properly.

Euroreefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
If I were you I would start thinking about building a proper stand for it and not cut it. If you cut it and it doesnt work you will wish you built a proper stand so just do that first. It will cost you around $100 to build a nice/ tall around (40 inches tall) stand so you have more room to work.

nyc reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.5%
274   10   0
Sump

Thanks, had not thought about the water on the floor scenario but your absolutely right. I'm gonna post it in the for sale thread and locate a smaller one.

Please Close Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: