Rating - 100%
24   0   0
From what i read on your other post, you just bought your tank a few days ago, is that correct? Did you end up with a 10 gallon tank? What do you have in there now( rocks sand)? What type of filtration and lighting are you running? Basically the first thing you want to do is cycle the tank. That should take about a month which is the perfect time for you to plan what to stock your tank with and do all your research. The best advice i could give you is to take your time and dont rush things. When ever your tank is cycled i could give you some free pulsing xenia to start you off with.

Mangas50

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
you might want to change your lighting those pcs lights which come stock arent that great. I switched to LEDs on mine and let me tell you everything looked better. Here are a few kits: http://www.rapidled.com/biocube-14/ and http://shop.stevesleds.com/BioCube-14-Gallon-LED-retrofit-kit-Oceanic-AND-Coralife-BC14.htm There are more on the market but this is def a good upgrade. Also you might want to change your pump to something a bit more stronger. I put the marineland maxi jet 900 and everything responded pretty well to the extra flow.

dee718

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. Let me know when your cycle is done. Any pictures?

My cycle is done and i uploaded pictures to my gallery, Im also ready for more corals.
641.jpg.html

dee718

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you might want to change your lighting those pcs lights which come stock arent that great. I switched to LEDs on mine and let me tell you everything looked better. Here are a few kits: http://www.rapidled.com/biocube-14/ and http://shop.stevesleds.com/BioCube-14-Gallon-LED-retrofit-kit-Oceanic-AND-Coralife-BC14.htm There are more on the market but this is def a good upgrade. Also you might want to change your pump to something a bit more stronger. I put the marineland maxi jet 900 and everything responded pretty well to the extra flow.

thanks for the information on the lighting

Mangas50

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
no problem. Good luck. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions I might lose track of this thread will all the others I am following but will do my best to assist you.

fireshark02

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
148   0   0
No offense but according to your recent post you just got this tank, correct? If so there is no way your tank has finished cycling. It takes weeks to cycle a tank, dont rush anything in this hobby. Plus i looked at your pics, i recommend more live rocks(biological filtration) extra flow, better lighting. Goodluck, just ask questions most people will help.

dee718

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No offense but according to your recent post you just got this tank, correct? If so there is no way your tank has finished cycling. It takes weeks to cycle a tank, dont rush anything in this hobby. Plus i looked at your pics, i recommend more live rocks(biological filtration) extra flow, better lighting. Goodluck, just ask questions most people will help.

thanks for your advise.....lots of things to learn i welcome all advise

fireshark02

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
148   0   0
Youre welcome, just take it slow. Start off with cheap and freebie stuff like xenia, kenya trees, zoas, mushrooms are a great start and dont be cheap on equipment. Buy it right the first time, it saves money. Get some good test kits(red sea is a good one). Also get a good ro/di unit.

Mangas50

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
You dont need to buy an RODI unit for a 14 Gallon. I bought one then threw it out once i had to replace the media. Its easier to buy Distilled water from the pharmacy. ($1.29 a gallon and sometimes on sale for $.65)You can change either 2 gallons once a week, once every 2 weeks or once a month depending on what you are doing with your tank. More fish/corals more changes. Try not to keep over 3 fish in this small tank.

You should also buy also buy a bucket to mix salt water. Buy the maxi jet 900(for your tank) like i said before and throw the stock pump in the bucket so it can help mix the salt properly. I use Reef Crystals - Instant Ocean.

Also you might want to look in to removing all those bioballs and just use filter floss, purigen and chemi pure.

those are some other suggestions I recommend but each person has their own style.

link for ideas: http://shop.mediabaskets.com/BioCube-14-Media-Basket-BC14MR.htm

Last edited:

dee718

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Youre welcome, just take it slow. Start off with cheap and freebie stuff like xenia, kenya trees, zoas, mushrooms are a great start and dont be cheap on equipment. Buy it right the first time, it saves money. Get some good test kits(red sea is a good one). Also get a good ro/di unit.

thank you for the advise....where would i find these free items?

dee718

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You dont need to buy an RODI unit for a 14 Gallon. I bought one then threw it out once i had to replace the media. Its easier to buy Distilled water from the pharmacy. ($1.29 a gallon and sometimes on sale for $.65)You can change either 2 gallons once a week, once every 2 weeks or once a month depending on what you are doing with your tank. More fish/corals more changes. Try not to keep over 3 fish in this small tank.

You should also buy also buy a bucket to mix salt water. Buy the maxi jet 900(for your tank) like i said before and throw the stock pump in the bucket so it can help mix the salt properly. I use Reef Crystals - Instant Ocean.

Also you might want to look in to removing all those bioballs and just use filter floss, purigen and chemi pure.

those are some other suggestions I recommend but each person has their own style.

link for ideas: http://shop.mediabaskets.com/BioCube-14-Media-Basket-BC14MR.htm

i bought a tap water filter makes deionized water....what are your thoughts on that?

drej424

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Free corals

thank you for the advise....where would i find these free items?

Most people in the hobby get some help from other reef keepers. There is a frag swap next weekend where you can see a lot and learn from experienced people. Just to add my 2 cents, I regret getting Kenya trees for a beginner's coral. I liked them when I first saw them but they spread all over. I keep taking them out, but they're like weeds!

Good luck with your new tank!

dee718

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most people in the hobby get some help from other reef keepers. There is a frag swap next weekend where you can see a lot and learn from experienced people. Just to add my 2 cents, I regret getting Kenya trees for a beginner's coral. I liked them when I first saw them but they spread all over. I keep taking them out, but they're like weeds!

Good luck with your new tank!

thank you for the advise....btw thanks for the 2 cents....i feel its best to learn by those experienced at this....saves me from making the same mistake

Mangas50

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
One of the more advanced reefers might know the difference but from my understanding RODI & Distilled water reduce the likelihood of phosphates forming in the tank which prevent green hair algae.

al0ha

The Inked Reefer
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
Run a rodi unit. Always. I learned the hard way. Also from what it seems like, you have much to research before putting anything live in your tank, fish and esp corals. I suggest combing thru the internet and find the basics of starting a reef tank. I'd cycle your 14 gal with a slice of fish or shrimp. Dont add anything for at least 2 months

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: