Dannyboy11222

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
To I went to buy some coral at fishtown in queens and I picked a couple of candy cane frags and an acan frag and also a Mexican toadstool also. I also purchased a pink anthias and two damsels an now I have four dead fish one yellow tang a coral beauty,six stripe wrasse and a queen anthias what the hell happened, what went wrong. I checked my ammo and nitrate and both read zero I'm not new to fish but im new to coral did i somehow poison my fish. Or could the epoxy stick poison the fish? I don't know all I do know is I have four dead fish that I've had between one year to atleast six mouths all healthy. Please help me try and understand what went wrong if someone can. Thank you

TommyP

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
81   0   0
You're profile says you have a 55 gallon. It could of been that the three fish you added at once was too many for the bb to handle at once. I've lost plenty of fish throughout the past year #fishtankproblems but I hope someone else can chime in maybe. But that's my opinion. What are you other paramaters?

Dannyboy11222

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Sorry I have custom made fug by custom king a reef octopus ex160 and a reef dynamics bio reactor to help with nitrates the only thing I can think of is that today I did have go ahead and re up on some bio pellets because the chambe was starting to loss pellet over the past weeks

Dannyboy11222

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
No drip method only. It's not the fish from fishtown that are dead these were already in my livestock

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 551
Rating - 100%
164   0   0
I'm at a loss. Very saddened dont know what I maybe did wrong. I love al my fish as if they were my children. Happy Father's Day to me
Don't beat yourself up over it. Just think it through to see if you can identify any change, no matter how slight, you made to your tank. So far the evidence seems to point somehow to your new additions. By the way, if you had the old bio-pellets exposed to air for a while when you were adding the new pellets that might have caused some bacteria die-off.

M

Moneymaks24

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Something fishy is going on. I never use any reactors or a fuge or chemicals or any sort of filtration I just do 10% WC a month. It all a waste of $$ IMO. and you probably increased bio load too fast I would guess. But that's very strange. Don't give up KEEP ON REEFING!!

M

Moneymaks24

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
#1 rule in this hobby is ALWAYS quarantine new fish for at least a month ALWaYs! Red velvet and other diseases are too dangerous to introduce to display tanks.

lnevo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
I didn't soak the pellets this time could that have done something and that is why the manufacturer recommend you do so. As to not suck out the o2 to fast

From what I've read, soaking is to help them not float around... but it could do something else as well. This is definitely my guess as to what went wrong. I don't think parasites could kill that fast.

Since your new fish are doing ok, I don't see how the corals could be to blame.

lnevo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
OP says the fish have been with him 6 months to 1 year. I assume that implies that the tank has been running at least 1 year. I do not think it was a bio load issue or the new fish would have suffered as well and OP reported 0 ammonia, 0 nitrate.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: