Status
Not open for further replies.

Spsnut

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First thing that came to my mind when I saw the title yesterday was a liter meter what ever number they are; a simple timer, a vet grade drip set point, and an aqualifter is all one needs.

Last edited:

BaaMNYC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
324   0   0
I couldn't get through 3 pages; comparing a middle class powerhead to a Ferrari is plain feeding ones own ego. To those driving one of those cars a vortex is most likely chump change.

1. i don't understand how a vortech MP is a middle class powerhead
2. how it is feeding an ego?
3. The comparison was a ferrari is to civic as to a vortech is to jaebo. the higher end item is multiple times more expensive than the latter and there are respective pros owning the high end item.

4. chump change or not, that wasn't the purpose of the comparison.

Spsnut

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. i don't understand how a vortech MP is a middle class powerhead
2. how it is feeding an ego?
3. The comparison was a ferrari is to civic as to a vortech is to jaebo. the higher end item is multiple times more expensive than the latter and there are respective pros owning the high end item.

4. chump change or not, that wasn't the purpose of the comparison.

Face it, it's not at all comparable to a multi-millionaire's play thing! Look, I know people who drive used cars and rent who have the power side of their pump. It is not the supreme Italian sports car of aquaria! Don't let that hurt your sense of security; it's a great pump. I pay for the support of people like Roger and Jeremy at Tunze and CoralView! This was about what items people think are high priced, yet instead of contributing to the topic a band came in like 16 year olds whose daddies turned everything they touched into gold with an attitude that if they then have something it has to be the best there could be. Get it? IDC Ecotech are expensive powerheads, a light that pretends its simulating the weather on a reef in Bali is pretending and has nothing that is truly useful to growing corals, I dont need an expensive power center to consolidate my probes and timers, neither do I feel that a water change is simply draining and replacing tank water. The list could go on. sorry if you are insulted; I came up before a great tank had to have things full of names.

Last edited:

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
Face it, it's not at all comparable to a multi-millionaire's play thing! Look, I know people who drive used cars and rent who have the power side of their pump. It is not the supreme Italian sports car of aquaria! Don't let that hurt your sense of security; it's a great pump. I pay for the support of people like Roger and Jeremy at Tunze and CoralView! This was about what items people think are high priced, yet instead of contributing to the topic a band came in like 16 year olds whose daddies turned everything they touched into gold with an attitude that if they then have something it has to be the best there could be. Get it? IDC Ecotech are expensive powerheads, a light that pretends its simulating the weather on a reef in Bali is pretending and has nothing that is truly useful to growing corals, I dont need an expensive power center to consolidate my probes and timers, neither do I feel that a water change is simply draining and replacing tank water. The list could go on. sorry if you are insulted; I came up before a great tank had to have things full of names.

I mean this makes perfect sense. "Poor people" can afford the expensive pumps, yet the only people who came on the thread to support Vortechs are trust-fund teenagers who feel they need to brag about how wealthy they are. And LEDs are only useful to simulate exotic lighting conditions but dont grow corals. Hit. The. Nail. On. The. Head. :scratch:

bhazard451

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I mean this makes perfect sense. "Poor people" can afford the expensive pumps, yet the only people who came on the thread to support Vortechs are trust-fund teenagers who feel they need to brag about how wealthy they are. And LEDs are only useful to simulate exotic lighting conditions but dont grow corals. Hit. The. Nail. On. The. Head. :scratch:

Its not really that, its more along the lines of "do you think what you paid is worth what you got?". There is no single answer for this. As long as you and your tank inhabitants are happy, that's what really matters.

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
This hobby is as expensive as you want it to be. I myself spend very little on it as all my equipment is very old and I built most of it. But a powerhead that I bought 15 years ago for $29.00 is cheap being it only cost me 50 sents a year. Corals are cheap if you get them to live 15 years and so are fish.
The fish were at one time practically free as they don't cost anything to collect them. I have been to many Islands where our fish are caught and the collectors are not wealthy people, they barely afford to eat. The cost is in shipping, storage and losses. A copperband butterfly may cost 5 cents to collect and $12.00 to ship, and another $12.00 to house and half of them die in the store or wholesaler.
I myself own 2 aquarium related patents and the last patent cost over $30,000.00. Add to that contracts, insurance molds and manufacturing costs and you spent over $40,000.00. No matter what you sell the device for, it will take years to re coup your investment. That is if you ever do as this is a limited market. If the thing does not sell you are out that money, so it is a big chance you are taking if you decide to invent and market something. I also only build in America because that's just me.
My first patent, I sold about 6,000 of the device and just about broke even. There are not a lot of rich people selling stuff for fish tanks. That is why most manufacturers are out of business.

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
Its not really that, its more along the lines of "do you think what you paid is worth what you got?". There is no single answer for this. As long as you and your tank inhabitants are happy, that's what really matters.

:lol2: Read my post again, but this time include a STRONG dose of sarcasm. My post was directed at spsnut's ramblings. Nothing more.

Geraud

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
I dont need an expensive power center to consolidate my probes and timers,

Anyone who thinks that a controller is just a bunch of times and probes has forgotten that you can do great things with it... it is called programming.
Things like turning off the lights if the temperature or pH is too high, sending email/beeping/text message if a problem is detected, etc etc, shutting down pumps if there is a leak, easy to program dosing...
Also... being able to choose between Triac and relay based switches is a huge thing.

Of course if you are not going to setup remote access and just use the outputs in "timer mode", it is clearly not worth it. But if you are willing to spend a bit more time initially on these devices, they are really useful and give you a peace of mind.

M

Moneymaks24

Rating - 100%
100   0   0
Lol why you gotta bring Bali into it? That's not the LED selling point. It's the full spectrum total controllability that your paying for. And less that ecotech once again. They act like they are apple or something with proprietary technology. Just coz you know the name of people who work at EcoT don't mean your not over paying

Geraud

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
In general though, it looks like everyone considers that what they do not use is an overpriced gadget. ;-)

Personally I think electricity is the #1 overpriced thing. I mean c'mon, it is just a bunch of electrons, these are everywhere!

M

Moneymaks24

Rating - 100%
49   0   0
There's a new controller coming out sep 7 by a diff company lets see if they charge $500 or lower the price point for us "non Ferrari buying" people who don't make 80k or " trust babies" who never pay rent. Ill pay upto $200 if they include at least 8 outlets full Internet access and every probe included free until then ill check my ph w my $4 test kit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: