Reefcowboy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Needing help from owners of Deep Blue tanks that have the floodgate on the overflow. In theory, you are supposed to unscrew the plastic round bolts and raise the gate so technicaly the water level would rise.
However, i raised mine to the top and the water level remains the same. Seems like the water flows through inside between the gate and the overflow piece.
Anybody experienced similar issue? Was anyone able to raise the water level?
My water l level is about 3" from the top and that is a bit too much for me. Any advice would be very helpful.
Thanks!!

lnevo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
The easiest way I found to adjust the water level is by adjusting the return pump. I have mine up, the water does flow in between but still slowed down some since I see it only going through the teeth in the bracket.

Reefcowboy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
The easiest way I found to adjust the water level is by adjusting the return pump. I have mine up, the water does flow in between but still slowed down some since I see it only going through the teeth in the bracket.

I have installed a ball valve on my return and can adjust the return flow as you said. My concern though is if the level of the return is increased to the point that it raises the water level, wouldnt the water going down to the sump< going up?
My issue is getting the tank to overflow...but maybe if i tweak a little bit...

lnevo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
The water level in the sump should stay the same but the return pump section should drop as you are adding more water to the display. Takes a bit of getting used to and getting it dialed in right.

MatthewScars

Guns, Razors, Knives.
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
dialed in right.

I half agree with this.

I have a similar issue with my tank DB tank being so slightly uneven and leaning toward the left that it creates a 1" space on the right sides water level, thus the left overflow is getting hit harder and the rights isn't being used much. I tried to raise the gate on the left side, and it does work a little, but not well enough. I have a 120g and a ehiem 1262 at FULL speed dumping water into the tank and it still doesn't raise it much. Plus the flow is straight up damaging to coral/fish.

Ive been considering a ball valve on the left drain to slow it and raise the water level. I cant shim the tank now since its full and against a wall.

OP, you could ball valve the drains and play with it that way.

kimilkwon

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
I have installed a ball valve on my return and can adjust the return flow as you said. My concern though is if the level of the return is increased to the point that it raises the water level, wouldnt the water going down to the sump< going up?
My issue is getting the tank to overflow...but maybe if i tweak a little bit...

I just setup my DB tank the other day and I noticed the same thing. In this case, it's not a overflow issue but the pump has to be greater then how fast the water goes between the gap of the flood gate. 3" is a lot though and it shouldn't need much to raise the water level. What type of pump are you using?

Reefcowboy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
I increased return flow by opening the ball valve just a bit, marking the line where the new level stood and waited for a few hours..then increased again... Now my level is just where i wanted, high with enough room for the waves from the circulation pumps...
Anyways, not sure this floodgate did anything here, but im satisfied with the way it is now, thanks for all the help!

lnevo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
@matt you might actually be better with Imbaries suggestion to adjust the durso height to adjust for the level difference. Cut the higher one down a little so its the same level as the other drain...

Awesome to hear you got it working..

Anyway, i wanted to clarify the above..what i meant by higher is the one that is not drawing enough. If you lower the durso height it should draw more water and even out the flow. Ball valves work too :)

MatthewScars

Guns, Razors, Knives.
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Awesome to hear you got it working..

Anyway, i wanted to clarify the above..what i meant by higher is the one that is not drawing enough. If you lower the durso height it should draw more water and even out the flow. Ball valves work too :)

They aren't adjustable on DB tanks. And increasing the return flow could be damaging depending on the pump you have. An Ehiem 1262 with only about 3 foot head pressure can destroy everything.

So if they aren't adjustable, definitely just do with the ball valves on the drains. The gates help slightly though, but not enough.

lnevo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
They aren't adjustable on DB tanks. And increasing the return flow could be damaging depending on the pump you have. An Ehiem 1262 with only about 3 foot head pressure can destroy everything.

So if they aren't adjustable, definitely just do with the ball valves on the drains. The gates help slightly though, but not enough.

Its a piece of pvc pipe going to a reducer with a tee a cap and an elbow. Get another piece of pvc and cut it a little shorter or cut the one you have. You could use a sander and take it down little by little if your worried about taking too much off. Not that difficult. I would think you could account for the off level pretty easily that way and even out the flow very nicely. For your case adjusting the return flow is definitely not the answer.

Reefcowboy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0

When you say destroy you mean the corals/aquascape in the tank due to too high water pressure of the jet?

I have a Rio 2100 as return, and the amountof water now is pretty good, i pointed the sprayer along side the back of the tank and there is a nice circulating flow back there that goes towards the MP40. Its not damaging anything though

MatthewScars

Guns, Razors, Knives.
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
When you say destroy you mean the corals/aquascape in the tank due to too high water pressure of the jet?

I have a Rio 2100 as return, and the amountof water now is pretty good, i pointed the sprayer along side the back of the tank and there is a nice circulating flow back there that goes towards the MP40. Its not damaging anything though

E1262 is 900 GPH. Its like a firehose through a 3/4"return pipe. And I even have it split. so.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: