Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
There is some potentially misleading info in this thread. Flat Worm Exit nor Blue Velvet Nudibranchs are effective means for treating Acro eating flatworms (AEFW-- the pest in question in this thread). Both are great for treating Red planaria flatworms which are a very different thing.

And Jeremy, it is very hard to completely eliminate AEFW, particularly in a heavily stocked aquarium, but it isn't impossible. Like Jackson, I think sometimes the extensive treatment neeeded is worse than the damage from the worms and I too would/ have in the past, chosen to live with them and keep them in check rather than try to eliminate them.

ecvernon

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
170   0   0
I've beat them only because my tank sps were mini colonies. I had to dip them once a week or twice a week for about two months. I lost a good amount of sps to the treatment. I don't think I could have lived with them because my tank was not a full grown sps colonies. People who have fully grown. Out tanks could live with them. IMO people who's tanks are mini colonies and frag plugs should take action

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
Randy,
What methods do you utilize to keep them in check?

Regular turkey baster blasting ( daily at first) that knocks the worms off where pretty much all fish will eat them like candy as they float through the water column. I think ( maybe?) this also teaches some wrasses to search for them on the colonies. You will never beat them completely this way, but you can keep the numbers in check and reach a kind of equilibrium where the blasting can be reduced to a weekly if not monthly chore. I also think Acro crabs help too. I can't help but recall that the AEFW plague appeared right on the heels of the Red Bug plague which we figured out how to successfully treat with Interceptor which kills among other unintended things--Acro crabs.......

For your reading pleasure :) :
http://www.reefsmagazine.com/forum/...-coral-killers-acropora-eating-flatworms.html

http://www.reefsmagazine.com/forum/reefs-magazine/145120-pest-free-reefkeeping-iii-flatworms.html

Rating - 100%
161   0   0
I had them also.i tryied everything .zeo flatworm stop 3 bottles of it .i dimly decided to remove most of my acros and set up a 75 gallonfor them I dipped a few times a week that was about 8 months ago.i lost most of my acros.sometimes I feel I should have just left it alone and maybe I could have left with them.they were doing great in the main display .so far what I have left I havenot seen any again.but I did loss alot

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: