saltwaterinbrooklyn

Pro hobby anti profit!
Rating - 100%
132   0   0
It's getting hot guys and I just wanted to remind you of a few things you can do to take on the summer reef safely!!

1) keep plenty of rodi on hand as it will evaporate almost twice as fast in these hot days , and also if you choose to use a fan to cool sump!!

2) keep battery power handy to run pumps or air stones in case of power outages .

3) if you can't swing getting a chiller than make one !!
Get yourself a bucket if temps get crazy and buy ice from the store and fill it and then place a reactor or use your carbon or gfo reactor to sit in the bucket and that will cool off the water running through the reactor slowly and safely as well.

4) last but not least , ice cubes in a gallon sized zip lock work great if you wanna throw em in your sump and cool things down every few hours !!!

Just a few tips to keep in mind guys , happy reefing and stay cool!!!

Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Great thread. + 100 on opening the stand doors. That makes a huge difference.

I find that turning off my UV sterilizer buys me some head room when it's hot outside...and inside. In my case, my UV seems to be good for ~3/4 of a degree or more. It's a Emperor Aquatics Smart UV 25 watt. This is actually the first summer I've had it, so I'm still learning a bit, but it's definitely a significant water heater.

Important tip though - I've read that flipping UV sterilizers on and off a lot affects the long term life of the bulb - which is expensive. So in my case, when I turn it off, or the Apex turns it off based on probe t_Sump, I leave it off for a day.

The nice thing about it is that in winter, my heater has to run less with the UV on :) Double duty hardware FTW!

reefer4eva

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
282   0   0
Most importantly(I learned my lesson)do maintainence on your chiller for whoever has them.i do this 4 times a year or more.these things can get clogged pretty quick,what I do is take it off the tank with the pump,,get a bucket with vinegar and water and put the pump on the hose that would normally be the return(basically running the chiller backwards) for about 5-6 hours.you will see the crap that builds up in there.I went away on vacation a few years back and never clean or maintained my chiller (it was 8 months old)and when I came home there was floating fish.learn from my mistake do the routine maintainence !!!and for all of those people using fans to cool there tanks..feel how hot the motor is after a few hours of running it..never leave fans on if you leave home as this will cause fires!!

Last edited:

vio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
271   3   0
Most importantly(I learned my lesson)do maintainence on your chiller for whoever has them.i do this 4 times a year or more.these things can get clogged pretty quick,what I do is take it off the tank with the pump,,get a bucket with vinegar and water and put the pump on the hose that would normally be the return(basically running the chiller backwards) for about 5-6 hours.you will see the crap that builds up in there.I went away on vacation a few years back and never clean or maintained my chiller (it was 8 months old)and when I came home there was floating fish.learn from my mistake do the routine maintainence !!!and for all of those people using fans to cool there tanks..feel how hot the motor is after a few hours of running it..never leave fans on if you leave home as this will cause fires!!

+1 in that +this

Attachments

• 163756_big (1).jpg
    163756_big (1).jpg
    28 KB · Views: 64

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: