gimincorp

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Hi All,
Just wanted to share that I'm a backer of this interesting project:
PJ Reef - "A self contained / low maintenance mini saltwater aquarium." The guy seems to know what he's going to do. A little "insider info" not posted on the project page: "Part of the innovation is that physical water flow is not needed. At very small water volumes ionic exchange due to settling of heavier ions at the bottom of the water is sufficient to maintain certain corals such as zoanthids, green star polyps, and palythoas. I'm developing a micro powerhead for hobbyist that would like physical water movement. The oldest setup is 1 year and 8 months old. Other setups are a few months to a year old."
What do you thinK?

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Hm...I read the kickstarter as well as some of the linked articles. Just to make sure i understood the rationale, intent etc.
So, my response is based on the information I read, his explanations of why he thought this was necessary, rationale for the functional set up, etc.

To clarify: Is it just a glass jar, a stand, mini magnet cleaner, a light (how is this powered?)? Are those the only mechanized/functional parts?
Nothing to plug in, no heater, etc?

I think it is nice to start up a business and make self designed tanks esp ones that would happen to fit current trendy markets (it has a hipster edge to it since it looks like a tall mason jar).

However, i am not sure what makes it...new, cool or exciting.

There have always been self contained aquariums.
That's essentially a basic closed system tank. For a soft coral only system you can actually go larger than just that glass (didn't see volume on it).

Does this take up more space than a 3g pico that also supports coral, can sit on a work desktop, and costs less than $300 to set up and add similar type of coral (though i've seen 3g picos with fish (usually baby clowns).

As for light, for the kinds of corals and plants listed (not sure about red gracillaria being low light plant and without supplements but I'm sure it works for him), those are primarily low light organisms that could survive in a sump with low wattage limited 6500k light.

Additionally, the live rock and other organisms that tend to live in reefs like amphipods, copepods, bristles, fans, sponges, etc. do not need light, do not necessarily need tons of flow. Honestly, I've kept xenia and kenya tree corals, mangroves, LR rubble and snails in a 5 g bucket in a room that gets tons of light. Additionally, my apartment is never below 70deg which is fine for the livestock in my 5g bucket and that pico tank.

They've been in there since my sump broke like 3 months ago.

They are all still alive. Albeit, not very colorful (should I assume that the light equipped is yellow or yellow white? If someone buys say...a bright red shroom will it dull over time?)

I guess that's why I was pretty surprised to see that the project has 18k in it already, with 21 folks donating at least $300 to get one shipped fully aquascaped with the coral/plants/water in it already.

I'm actually wondering what about it makes it valued at $300...since the livestock type are such that grow easily in static environments, and the equipment does not look complicated..

Either way, I'm sure the backers will be happy.

And the main thing that matters is that the guy doing the project feels great, believes in what he's doing and is able to get people to buy into his project. That's business!

So, good job!!!
Congrats to you for being a part of something you believe in, and to him.

skene

Winter. Time for Flakes..
Rating - 100%
240   0   0
Here's what I think and maybe some may agree on this. While you can keep self sustaining systems without water flow... The "long term" on this kick start will probably end up putting a sour taste in your mouth. Zoas, Mushrooms and most softies will eventually need some type of oxygen exchange. The chances are that most of these sponsors to the project will probably believe this is something where you set it and forget it.

Unfortunately it would not be as easy as that. I have kept mushrooms in low light stagnating water and even they will eventually disappear. Zoas will probably be the first to go.. then turn your mason jar into a death cylinder.

Question now is... if you donated that much to a project that would cost you no more than $50 to build yourself to test out.. Would that not have been money well spent, to run your own test on something so simple.

GL if you believe in it....

This would have been a better investment.. EcoSphere

I've seen the shrimp in there last for years...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: