tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
I don't know how to make a poll here, so I'll just pose the questions and you can answer in thread:

How many of you read the warranty for your livestock or dry goods?

How does what you read influence your decision to purchase?

What are you looking for in a warranty for either livestock or dry goods?

If you do not read the warranty, have you ever had that backfire??

etc.

Why am I asking?

Well, right now I am looking to get a set of value LEDs (D120s or similar) and many vendors have them, but they all carry different warranties.

For instance, for the d120 and various versions of it, one vendor has a 3 year CA warranty, another has a 2 year US and another has a 1 year US or 2 year China or a 3 year China. In that mix, some will give you free return shipping if it needs to be fixed for the lifetime of the warranty.

Most of those will give you 30 days to check out the lights, use it and if you don't want it for some reason...you can send it back (most likely minus a restocking fee).

Now...I come across a warranty that will only allow you to fully return the product if you never open the box and send it back within 2 weeks. You must pay for shipping again, and a restocking fee.

If you open the box, you cannot return it.

If you have a defect, even under warranty, you have to pay shipping to their facility. If you have a defect, even under warranty, and get so fed up that you no longer want the light, you still cannot get a full refund (not sure if you can even get a partial, so I so far I do not think you can ever get a refund regardless of fault if you've opened the box).

Is that weird???

Am I taking it for granted that ATI has a really nice warranty where they will pay for shipping both ways? Or that if I didn't like my unit within 30 days after using it, i could send it back and get a refund?

Last edited:

royalson87

GET THE FOH
Rating - 93.9%
46   3   0
I bought a 120w led fixture for 168.99 with a 2 yr warranty ,1 yr after having the unit the blues die, i email the company they said send 125.00 for a replacement what kinda warranty is that?

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
nice, I was thinking about the Onyx. It's the lowest price non-dimmable/dimmable LED fixture that has multi spectrum and is from a US based popular/long standing company (2009).

i mean they are full spectrum, use CREE, up to ~18k color (vs only 12-14 for many fixtures) and a warranty (only 18 months but will fix for flat $75 after). And of course, the dimmable model is out.

i don't understand why there are so few reviews or folks buying them (based on the fact that online searches of major reef forums there is low response).

I mean people are spending more on sight unseen fixtures straight from overseas with unknown companies than these.

jdino

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that Foster and Smith are great when it comes to return policy. I had a skimmer that I dropped and smashed about a month after I bought it. I called them explained that it was my bad and I dropped it and they said no problem just send it back. I got a full refund from them.

Koolaidreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 92.3%
48   4   0
It's been 7 months and Wingo honored his warranty; he said he will get it fixed for me since the whites are giving me trouble. I have yet to drop it off but truly amazing customer service

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
jdino- WOW. That is awesome!!! Especially, since it was your fault. I can't imagine a store doing that for you for no charge and without making you feel like a criminal to even think you could get it fixed/traded out with even a reduction in cost. If I had a store I think I'd give you maybe a discount since you'd be a return customer...but not free :)

Anyway, I love shopping at Drsfstr so I'm glad they have that kind of feedback from you.

Koolaidreef- that's definitely good. I'm glad he is honoring the warranty. I'm actually supposed to buy the Super D120 by 10pm tonight!

I wasn't sure if I should save $30 and just get the China warranty only but if only after 7 months you're having problems with it....maybe I should just spend the extra to get the USA warranty since at least for now he still has facilities in Queens.

hmmm...let me compare his warranty to Reefbreeders or a place in Canada. I think Wingo's Super D120 is the same as the Multi spectrum D120 that RB sells.
However, the one in Canada has a 3 year warranty and only costs $5 more. RB in Cali???has a 2 year warranty, but it's the same price as Wingo but i'm not sure if Wingo will eventually move 100% of his operation to FL.

I'll get on that.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: