Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Anyone have any nice looking ways to hide a chiller? I have a 1/5 HP JBJ Arctica. I need to put it inside some sort of wood-ish box that will make it look like...not a chiller :) I realize it needs to breathe, I plan on venting the heck out of the box and installing 4x 120mm PC style fans (2 push, 2 pull) to help with the flow.

Here's an old picture of my set up. The chiller is going on the right, where that round black table is now. Ideally I could find something that fits that bulkhead on the wall (~24") somewhat perfectly.

(Very old picture of the tank when it was first being set up 6 months ago), it actually looks pretty now. heh

IMG_20130207_132955_zpsf73e9de0.jpg

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
I tried what you are suggesting once, and unfortunately it didn't work out well. Perhaps you can come up with a way to make it work that we didn't think of.

Hiding the chiller wasn't the issue (can be done easily :)) but venting it was the issue. We build a sealed box made of tin(?..it was a number of years ago..) and then used that 6" wide tubing (that you'd use to vent a clothes dryer). It only had to up the wall about 5 foot. We drilled a 6" hole in the foundation of the house AND installed 2 BIG fans (ones that are used in those type of tubes - they were electric)..and nothing. The tin box did nothing but radiate heat anyway, the room was sweltering :(
..so we filled back in the hole in the foundation..:p

I ended up buying an in-room A/C that vents to the only room window (fish are in the basement), and now me & the fish tanks are nice and cool.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: