reefer4eva

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
282   0   0
I'm hoping this story I'm about to tell you guys will sink in well.last week I changes over my aquascape and upon doing so I ended up getting a very small cut from a piece of live rock.and thinking nothing of it I continued what I was doing and saying to myself "aaayyhh """its saltwater it will probably help it heal faster.....boy I was wrong!!!this past Tuesday I woke up for work and my hand was throbbing.. still thinking nothing of it and I sucked it up and went to work.."aaeeyyhh it was probably the way I slept"WRONG AGAIN"I got home from work and figured I'd just take an advil put some ice on it and it will be fine..never did I think it was from the tank till I went to the doctor today in absolute AGONY!!my hand sweld up to twice the size and throbbing if I had it by my side.turns out that little tiny cut I got from the live rock gave me cellulitus(a bacterial infection that spreads very rapidly).. and for whomever is reading this due yourself a favor Google cellulitus and click on images....more importantly ALWAYS WEAR GLOVES!!!cellulitus is no joke!!learn from my mistakes!!!

Last edited:

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Pictures or it didnt happen.
I had this in my ankle when I was in boot camp at Paris Island. It sucks.
Is it at the Reddit WTF level or more like the ouch what the hell level?

Last edited:

BaaMNYC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
324   0   0
damn im guilty of always doing stuff without gloves. I have a pair of gloves but my tank being 30" and everytime i use the bulky gloves. water gets in. PITA. but im going to google the infection.

feel better buddy.

Rating - 94.6%
105   6   0
I keep a box of latex or vinyl gloves in my "wet" room (aka the kitchen pass thru). Bristle worms are the culprits for me. it burning and itch red welts drove me to get gloves. I also have the shoulder gloves (great for big work but not for delicate moves). Heres the problem with gloves. I too, rarely use them as I think its a moment in the tank.
Heal up brother! And get a box of gloves in a tissue dispenser and mount near the tank!

oh207

Advanced Reefer
Apex Freak
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Hey man, I wish you a speedy recovery. Feel better.
I have a 30" high tank and don't use gloves, I will start.
My biggest issue is that I use my mouth to siphon water out of the tank and each time I do it I develop an infection around my lips. It looks and feel like I have a gazillion cold sores. Not pretty!!! And no, I'm not posting any pics.

reefer4eva

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
282   0   0
Thanks guys...I usually wear gloves also keep in mind the smallest cut even if it is partially healed can cause this so next time you have an open wound don't stick your hand in your tank..learn from my lesson.this is extremely painful!!!

lnevo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
My biggest issue is that I use my mouth to siphon water out of the tank and each time I do it I develop an infection around my lips. It looks and feel like I have a gazillion cold sores. Not pretty!!! And no, I'm not posting any pics.

Why would you do that when its so easy to start a siphon without that? Just dunk the whole hose in the tank till it fills with water cap the end with your thumb, then put in bucket, siphon started.

reefer4eva

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
282   0   0
Could have been alot worse had i not went to the doctors

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 286

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: