I've been getting readings close to zero no3 and close to .25 po4. I feed my tank pellets 4-5 days a week and home fish food 2-3 days a week. Also run a reef octopus 110 skimmer on my 85g system. How can I get my po4's down? I'm assuming that this is my cause for my hair algae.

I was debating using NoPox from Red Sea but I'm wondering if it's a smart idea since my nitrates are close to zero. I don't want to kill them off

Widdy

Vendor
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
.25 is rather high, but then again API isn't very accurate. IMO, to measure PO4 accurately (somewhat... +/-4%) a photometer would be needed.

Have you considered running GFO?

a GFO is my next option and I was leaning towards the BRS dual reactor but I'm debating on giving the nopox a try before I get the reactor.

I've read numerous threads of nopox bring down no3's and making corals "happy" again but I'm wondering if it's wise for me to try it since my nitrates are already low, just to bring down my phosphates

vio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
271   3   0
.25 is rather high, but then again API isn't very accurate. IMO, to measure PO4 accurately (somewhat... +/-4%) a photometer would be needed.

Have you considered running GFO?

+1, .25 PO4 is 8 times , than u need, check PO4 on u RO/DI ( i hope u use one) reduce feeding, when u clean (siphon) your sand the last time ? (if u got) ? API test is not really good choice . Also if u run T5 ?, how old they r ?

lnevo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
First things first. Ditch the API test kit. I had 40-80ppm while my api test kit read 0 for a long time... Get yourself a real kit like Red Sea Pro or Saliftert. RSP makes an Algae Control Kit that has phosphate and nitrate. Much more accurate.

Then do some larger than normal WC. If it still 0 nitrate it will help with PO4 and you can start running GFO.

Hair algae i think needs a lights out and definitely some manual removal will help. I would wait on the NoPox which Ive heard good recommendations on..just double check that test kit first.

Rating - 100%
54   0   0
I would do a large water change, try GFO and I also agree on getting a better test kit. I use the Elos test kits and like them so far. Also cut down on the feelings at least until you get it under control. I feed every 2 days with no problem. I would change the filter socks twice per week (if you use them) for the duration of the gha outbreak. Do you run a refugium? Hope this helps.

+1, .25 PO4 is 8 times , than u need, check PO4 on u RO/DI ( i hope u use one) reduce feeding, when u clean (siphon) your sand the last time ? (if u got) ? API test is not really good choice . Also if u run T5 ?, how old they r ?

I've siphoned my sand bed a couple of times but not in the past 2-3 months. I was under the assumption it's not good to siphon it. Also my t5s are about 5-6months old

Are you sure it's hair algae and not bryopsis?

I was not sure what bryopsis looked like so I just googled it and no it's not that

I would do a large water change, try GFO and I also agree on getting a better test kit. I use the Elos test kits and like them so far. Also cut down on the feelings at least until you get it under control. I feed every 2 days with no problem. I would change the filter socks twice per week (if you use them) for the duration of the gha outbreak. Do you run a refugium? Hope this helps.

As for changing my filter sock, I change it twice a week. As for feeding I was under the assumption that feeding pellets 3-4 days of the week and frozen food 2-3 days a week will not bring my phosphates up as much ( vs. feeding frozen 3-4 days a week ). I have no refugium. Just the skimmer in the sump

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: