Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
These clown gobies have been spawning for over a year but this is the first time I can see the eggs. You can see them just to the right of the clown gobi who is on the left. Those little "bubbles" are eggs. They cover about 3/4" of the piece of that coral and the eggs will kill that spot on the coral. The other dead parts on that coral were buried while I was in Hawaii 2 weeks ago and I will cut them off so they re grow.
Now all my fish are spawning except my copperband and we know that ain't happening.
That includes firefish, mandarins, watchman gobies, threadfin cardinals and two other cardinals. The bluestriped pipefish lived out their life and I don't have them any longer, but they spawned a number of times also.
I was away for 12 days and during that time the fish were only fed every other day which may have induced them to spawn, although I am guessing.

You can see the eggs just under the gill of the left gobi

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
They laid another batch of eggs. I am glad they laid eggs but they really are destroying that coral. After the eggs hatch, that place is dead and algae grows there. From sitting on other parts of the coral, they also kill that. The coral will grow back, but I can see that a bunch of these fish spawning could really decimate a small patch of acropora.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: