DRZL

**ROCKSTAR**
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Since this isn't exactly the cheapest of hobbies,

How do you cope with the expenditures? Do you like many of us spend spend spend until you find yourself perusing the wallet in anguish? do you put it on credit and close your eyes as you pay the minimum payment out?

This is quite a obscure topic in reefing, that deserves the spotlight and each others comprehension and support.

When do you know you have gone too far?

When your writing a SAD thread? (your not the only one my dear scoots)

Anyone with cheap tactics or even sob stories please share.

DRZL

**ROCKSTAR**
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My personal true story,

I went from this
IMG_0084imgwll.jpg

to this

DRZLTANK1.jpg

No, the emptiness didnt arise from increased space, 90% of my corals died. I started counting up the $$$ losses stopped midway and went and got sh!tfaced that night. All the while, trying to find any meaningful cash to put a down payment on a cheap car, and textbooks for the new semester.
Its tough, I didnt go on the board much, I kind of wanted to forget all tihngs reef. I didnt plan on how much it was going to cost me in materials to build everything, and IMO led to the near demise in reefing.

I truly believe a happy reefer is a stable (income, savings) reefer, I am going to work on maximizing relationships with many of the talented (yet so far-living) in MR. I will never let myself lose so many pieces without having someone to give me a piece back if the unfortunate should occur.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
This is a thread that needs to be seen. Bravo!
I say we stick to finding ways to run the tanks cheaper, and to help people not go broke reefing!

joseney21

FDNY MEDIC
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
main thing, i think in staying within budget is just that- know your budget and fight the urge to go bigger and overstock (or stockup too fast). everybody wants a big tank (bigger tanks are cooler), and theoretically big tanks are more stable but with every upgrade of my own i watched my tank deteriorate. sometimes i wish i would've kept my 30g....patience is key, personal experience. small tanks can be cool too, look at froggie's.

i've had the same thoughts about leaving (quitting), and have detached myself from the tank and hobby for a while. i think i'm over that phase and now have a better understanding of what i can handle. I'm ready for the next round....

it's also important to not look at the money you've spent as money lost or thrown away, thats my opinion. it's money spent towards your hobby that made your time more enjoyable (hopefully), i guess the same way you would spend money playing pool, paintball, or at the TB....

ShaunW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
patience is key, from personal experience...
It's said all the time, but is so true. With just a little money and ALOT of patience/time you can have a magnificant reef. The desire to quickly stock up prematurely destroys so many aquariums (money wise).

I truly believe a happy reefer is a stable (income, savings) reefer, I am going to work on maximizing relationships with many of the talented (yet so far-living) in MR. I will never let myself lose so many pieces without having someone to give me a piece back if the unfortunate should occur.
Too bad more people don't figure this out until it is too late, instead of hoarding that "prized, rare coral" like the majority of reefers do (MR not included of course). My reef was re-build on the "what goes around, comes around" philosophy, :D . All the free corals I gave out over the years had a strange and wonderful way of coming back to me when I needed them most.

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
It's said all the time, but is so true. With just a little money and ALOT of patience/time you can have a magnificant reef. The desire to quickly stock up prematurely destroys so many aquariums (money wise).

This depends on the perspective, Shaun. If you disregard the failures many people experience early in the hobby, then a little money can go a long way in this hobby. How often does it occur that someone new, buys one set of equipment (lighting/filtration/water movement) and not need to spend more (as experience increases) to upgrade some parameter of their setup? Unfortunately, experience comes with a cost, money. Same issue with corals. Many experienced reefers with great LPS/softie tanks are 'urged' to "try some SPS" often forcing them to "get a bigger skimmer", "buy some halides" or "Tunze or die" :tongue1:

As I've said in a similiar thread on the subject, a hobby is best enjoyed, when free time and disposable income are used to fuel the passion. Cross either line, and people begin to second-guess their desire to continue reefing.

Dean

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
If I added up all of the money I have WASTED since I first had a salt water tank, I could put a very very healthy downpayment on a house!

The best leason to be learned is: PATIENCE. Read, ask questions, take your time building up a stable system. THEN buy nice corals and fish.

-Alfred

Mr.Blik

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First let me say DRZL, great idea for a thread. Whether you are a new (born-again) to the hobby like myself or an experienced reefer, I believe this topic speaks to you. I go into saltwater many years ago with a good friend and then dropped it for many years when my priorities shifted. Only to return again about 8 months ago....boy how things changed after my 5 year "break." Well when I decided to return to this life, I came in with a start up budget....some may say a cheap one - some may say a big one. I think that it was just right for me, and I think that is the key (at least in start up) choose the budget you can live with to start your system. BUT first do your research! What type of system do you want, what do you need to make it stable and healthy and is it in you budget. Another important point, hook up with people more experience and soak up knowledge...I was lucky to be good friends with House who introduced me to MR. I credit the success I have thus far on all of you and the knowledge and wisdom i have been able to apply from this FANTASTIC forum.

Other than that, I agree with most of you...patience goes a long way! Slow and steady wins the race! And as for cost cutting....well i think that is a question for the individual (much like the start up budget above). Maybe you can affoard to buy a chiller with no worries. OR ( like myself) you can't so you clip some fans on your sump and on those really steamy days you float some ice bottles in you sump to cool things down...(poor mans chiller). Either one works....results are the same healthy little buddies! :splitspin

anyway those are my 2 cents.....

Reefer420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I haven't bought much in the last 4 months- but even then the costs add up.. I needed a new heater, and since cheap is bad I went w/ a Finnex w/ controller (at least $60 after shipping...), I need new bulbs for my PC hood (around $50 soon), I also bought a bubbler in case power goes out...almost bought an APC backup, but didn't have the cash..

I thought I was going to upgrade to a 37g tank I bought a little while back- but it now looks like its not going to happen anytime soon unless I get a good raise :( after adding up the costs- and I didn't want to do my new tank 'cheap' - a custom hood, MH Luminarc reflector, bulbs, drilling and plumbing the tank, sump, more LR, etc... man it adds up!!!

I am now piecing together the parts as I see them on MR-- while I hope I can upgrade in 6 months when I move, I am no longer sure.

I do have to say that at least I haven't wasted TOO much money - other than a internal 'fuge that won't fit in my 16g I haven't bought too many things I ended up not using. I have to say that spending the better part of a year on the forums before jumping in, and then going small (a 16g) kept my costs down and saved me from lots of mistakes (though I would have gone w/ a MH system if I had known better...). I also have learned a lot in the last year or so I've had my 16g up and running- so hopefully it will help keep me from making costly mistakes in the future!!!

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
a hobby is best enjoyed, when free time and disposable income are used to fuel the passion. Cross either line, and people begin to second-guess their desire to continue reefing.
Dean

well stated Dean.
figuring out a reef budget is something I never did, I like many others here just spend money on my tank as I want to (no wife or kids makes this too easy)
However I bet I could have saved a whole bunch of money if someone had laid out all the costs of equipment,and those most important hidden costs, the supplies, the disposables, and most important the electrical costs of all that equipment one buys.

How do you cope with the expenditures? Do you like many of us spend spend spend until you find yourself perusing the wallet in anguish? do you put it on credit and close your eyes as you pay the minimum payment out?

As Andres put the question so well. I'd like to help anyone starting out in the hobby, or those having doubts about staying in the hobby due to the costs involved. One should know the actual amounts you'll be spending down the line to maintain the system after your built it.

So lets figure out the costs for the main types of systems people keep. Perhaps we can come up with a per gallon cost for both setting up a particular type of tanks and also the maintenance cost. We can concentrate on a fish only tank, a softie tank, a softie and LPS tank, and a mixed reef with SPS tank. Each one of these systems moves you into a more expensive cost bracket.

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
However I bet I could have saved a whole bunch of money if someone had laid out all the costs of equipment,and those most important hidden costs, the supplies, the disposables, and most important the electrical costs of all that equipment one buys.

Here is a thread created by rborgia detailing many of the items necessary to starting a marine aquarium. Since costs were not included, we can easily resolve that using the
edit.gif
button :D

Last edited:

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
My advice would be to do things slow so you absorb the inital expense.

*When planning a tank upgrade, upgrade all the equipment on your current setup that will be used for the future tank. The actual aquarium is the last thing that should be purchased.

* Be realistic. Don't jump into an aquarium that you have to run half-assed because you don't have the funds for proper equimpent. I used to see guys brag about their 200G or larger tanks but they don't even have enough of the right equipment to run a 30gal. There's nothing wrong with a pimped-out smaller reef or a F/O tank.

*Don't be cheap with your equimpent. Buying the"best" first will save you money in upgrades.

*GET THAT BIG SKIMMER FOR ANY TANK!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This will save you tons of money in lost livestock due to poor water quality and keep your tank algae free.

*Plan an efficent equipment scheme. My biggest mistake was buying reef equimpent that used a ton of electricity, added a lot of heat, which made my chiller run 24/7.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
As I've said in a similiar thread on the subject, a hobby is best enjoyed, when free time and disposable income are used to fuel the passion. Cross either line, and people begin to second-guess their desire to continue reefing.

Dean

I think the biggest thing is you don't need to spend a lot of money to have a successful reef. I think people get caught up to much in having the best equipment, which usually mean the most expensive items. They get the impression that having the best equipment guarantee you will have a very success tank, which it doesn't.

That, and having all the expensive trendy corals, leaves a lot of people tap out of money and wanting to leave the hobby, specially when things start to die or don't long as good as other peoples tank. Not to mention all the time involved, looking for instant results, not taking into account that most successful tanks have been running for years.

It really seems the hobby has gotten very expensive over the past years, not to mention very time consuming. From this I do see why people question whether they should leave the hobby or scale back.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Great point on the trendy corals Michael. I thought people were crazy spending the $$ on acans and the infamous PM when they first came out :)

One thing that stands out in my mind is that you said you had an eheim pump running for over 10 years. Eheim is a great pump and could be considered the "best" IMO it's definitely worth the extra cash over a mag drive.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Rich

I guess what I ment on the equipment is, some one sending a lot of for Tunze or other high end equipment when they don't really need it or there is some thing cheapier that will do the same.

You're right there is no substutite for quailty but some times people do go a little over board, specially if some thing is trendy and everyone else has it. The really bad thing is, after they spend all that money, the results aren't there insteadly and it's a big turn off. Also when things aren't going right people think that if they spend more it will correct the problem, which isn't always the case.

Limited Edition corals or name zoo's=more expensive but not always the best corals.

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
I would say on equipment buy the best that you can afford nd upgrade later. However, also look for great deals (esp here) and see if you can upgrade sooner or get better than you could normally afford first.

Or you could hit the Lotto :lol2:

Last edited:

Quang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
A College Reefer's POV
Tuition...books...partying.....and reef?
How do we manage all this as a college reefer, especially if you're the type of college student who's working his ass off to pay for school and too stubborn to let his parents pitch in?
College Reefer....it should be an oxymoron. Emphasis on moron.
It sucks seeing all the big boys with the big cash buying all the big toys, but a college reefer must always realize we "can't be like them." We gotta do things our own way...we have to get the equipment that are dependable but affordable and risk getting teased.
This is how I coped with it....
Reefing is the last priority!
You're a student...don't forget that. That means school comes first. Studying, paying tuition, showing up to to class....goes above browsing online for cheap equipment, buying stuff when you don't have the extra cash, and missing class cause you needed to get your ass 50 miles to pick up the equipment.
Starting off is always the toughest.
The initial cost is always high, so thats why saving up, planning, and deadset deciding on what type of tank you want to set up because as college reefers, we can't afford to change our mind.
Making sacrifices.
Instead of going out everynight, stay home or in your dorms for a few of them. It's 30-40 bucks right there. Instead of buying that latest computer game....save up. Thats 30-40 bucks right there. You get the point.
Do other things besides reefing.
....one word: GIRLS. Sometimes we get caught up with the reefing and forget there are other desireable objects out there in the world besides rare corals.
Budgeting: know yourself!:
We've all heard of Direct Deposit, right?
Well this is my way of controlling my spending for reefs.
I set up two checking accounts and direct deposit $100 every paycheck towards the one account I just set up for reefing. The other account is for all other items. Once I exhaust the reef account, I realize I should stop spending. Credit Card in the reefing hobby is asking for trouble IMO, especially for young reefers like me.
It really all comes down to how well you know yourself and your sense of self control.

Just don't forget reefing is a hobby...not your occupation...not your main responsibility. A crashed tank is better than a crashed GPA.
Happy reefing my college reefers.

Sorry Andres for trailing from the Budget topic somewhat. But I think your question not only touches on the budgetting woes, but other woes as well so I had to give a more in-depth answer.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: