4Fish

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I am going to upgrade to 300 DD. I need an engineer to come over and provide details to upgrade my floor support since the tank will be going on the first floor, the basement will be the filter room. Thanks.

4Fish

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks - I do agree with your assessment, but I have an old house, I was also thinking about adding some sort of steal plate first, then reinforce. I figure with water, rocks, and stand - probably pushing 4,000 lbs, or basically parking a car in my leaving room. I will certainly pay for the time if anyone knows of a structural engineer.

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I think all an engineer is going to tell is exactly what these two gentleman said. ....personally i would do both. Double up joists. Span all the joists and create a structural wall. If you plan it properly, and depending where it falls in your basement (and if its finished or unfinished) the structure can be used to hold equipment, make bookcases, just about anything.

Post some pics of the area, let's take a look.

Old house might be better then new house. They built structures to last.

Good luck!

4Fish

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, sounds like a plan. Now, has anyone used any construction companies to do this that they could recommend. The good news my wife is pushing to get this done. In addition to everything to else, worried about taking apart my 15 year 125 reef, there is so much life on the rocks. Once started I will start taking pictures of the entire process.

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
I think all an engineer is going to tell is exactly what these two gentleman said. ....personally i would do both. Double up joists. Span all the joists and create a structural wall. If you plan it properly, and depending where it falls in your basement (and if its finished or unfinished) the structure can be used to hold equipment, make bookcases, just about anything.

Post some pics of the area, let's take a look.

Old house might be better then new house. They built structures to last.

Good luck!

thats exactly what i did, their was a closet under it so i beefed up the wall so its a load bearing wall right in center of tank.
+1 to old house back then they didn't know exactly what a beam held so they used over size every thing.

d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
an engineer is just going to take your money.

double joists if you feel the need for them. I would only do double joists if the house is newer because they are thinner and if the tank is not going to be near a load bearing column and wall.

If the tank will be on a load bearing wall than buy a 6x8 the length of the tank and 4 basement posts. Use the 6x8 on top and crank up those posts. If your basement floor is thin then buy two 6x8's and install one on the floor and one on top.

Dont under estimate old houses, old houses were build with real lumber.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: