masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Well folks, here's another incident of stray voltage. A couple of things to note. First, this was in my saltwater mixing tub, not my display. So this particular incident was not threatening to my livestock. Second, I'm still here to report this, so it wasn't life threatening to me either :party:

I found out there was stray voltage when I happened to touch the water in the mixing tub. I got a slight shock. Not sure it was even a shock, I put my finger into the water again. It seems that I was getting the shock only in my finger with an open cut.

Not knowing which appliance was causing this (only a mag 3 and a heater in the tub) I unplugged each. It was once again another brand of heater. :irked: I already replaced a failing WON bros. heater in this tub about a year ago. This time, the failing heater was a STEALTH. Obviously I took it out immediately and replaced it with a new Finnex I had in my 'overstock' cache`.

I touched the water again after replacing the heater and was shock free.
I'm now up to two brands of heaters I will never use again, STEALTH and WON Bros. Hopefully the Finnex will work without incident. :rolleyes:

Hope this helps others when making there heater selection.

Russ

Last edited:

Chris5

Im BaAaAcK
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
You know come to think about it, when i had my heater running before the summer (ran the stealth 200w) I also noticed a shock in my fingers, but thought it was due to the salt and/or an open wound somewhere.....:irked:

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
You know come to think about it, when i had my heater running before the summer (ran the stealth 200w) I also noticed a shock in my fingers, but thought it was due to the salt and/or an open wound somewhere.....:irked:

Chris, that was my initial reaction. I thought it might have been like the proverbial salt in an open wound syndrome. So I stuck the same finger into my dispaly tank. No shock.

Funny that yours was a Stealth also. :irked:
This isolated incident could become a recurring incident. :mad:

Heads up everyone with a Stealth.

swimmer

jawwad2004

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
I actually got a really strong shock once. I noticed it happened after I placed my Tunze Turbelle in the tank. The shock actually made a sound and have been noticing that my fish showing up with torn fins. How can I truly find out which appliance is leaking voltage into my tank?

Dace

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.7%
393   1   0
hey. can you guys recommend a heater that has not failed. i have 3 won bros 300w in my sump and dont want to take a chance. i want to replace

S

steveo32

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Russ is the finnex a glass heater or is it lie kthe stealth ? I want torepalce mine but not with another glass heater. Matts (art) had one explode in the sump earlier this year and I don't want that to happen.

NYPDFrogman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
I got a jali with my controller it's titanium

a word about grounding probes..... they will not always protect you.
I had my won bros heater fail (5ooW) I stuck my hand in my sump and got wacked to the point I slammed my elbow on the stand.

ground probe was in connected intact!

bottom line have to check heaters on a daily basis I do now

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
Wow we talking about dangerous stuff here and that we are actually exposed to more danger than we wished to believe. I invite everyone who has first hand experience with this kind of things to summerize your problem in my thread
http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum...15626-equipment-safety-thread-avoid-list.html

so that I can relay these issue to the corresponding agencies. so they know it's not a isolated case but rather a reocurring problem.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
thankgod your allright and nothing major happened... ;)... so i guess imma go out and by myself another heater and get rid of my stealth...

Thanks T. It was definitely a bit of a wake up call. I have another stealth I'll be getting rid of. Unfortunately it's in my nano, so I'll have to do it sooner rather than later. :irked:

Alfredo De La Fe said:
I suspect stray voltage in my display tank. Gotta figure out how to test for it and try to run down the culprit.

-Alfred

Alfred, just unplug everything that comes in contact with your water. Test the water to make sure there is no stray voltage. Then plug one thing in at a time, testing for stray voltage after each appliance is plugged in.

I had it easy because it was only two appliances. It obviously gets a bit more laborious with a full display setup.

jawwad2004 said:
How can I truly find out which appliance is leaking voltage into my tank?

See above :tongue1:

Pseudo said:
My Stealth heater just killed half my fish last week. It was a new heater too.

Kasei

K, sorry to hear about this. I guess the positive way to look at it is you didn't get hurt and it was 1/2, not all your fish :irked: . No consolation, I know. :hug:

PalmTree said:
Make sure you scrape the coralline off your grounding probes from time to time. They can develope such a thick covering over the titanium that it renders it useless.

Great advice. I never even thought of that.

Daceman89 said:
hey. can you guys recommend a heater that has not failed. i have 3 won bros 300w in my sump and dont want to take a chance. i want to replace

I haven't found that heater yet Dave. :irked: Next up is the Finnex titanium with controller.

steveo32 said:
Russ is the finnex a glass heater or is it lie kthe stealth ? I want torepalce mine but not with another glass heater.

Steve, It isn't glass and it isn't titanium. It is black and the ad says it's a protective PLASTIC coating over aluminum. Ad also says it protects against thermal and mechanical shock......yeah right :mad:

StealthAd.jpg

WingoAgency said:
I invite everyone who has first hand experience with this kind of things to summerize your problem in my thread
http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/...void-list.html

Wingo, I'll copy/paste my first post there so you can have a consolidated compilation of various incidents.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. All for one and one for all. :grouphug:

Russ

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: