MPISCIOTTI

Rating - 95%
19   1   0
im have some major problems all my sps are dieing. my colonies i have had since frags are all dead i have throwen out about 7 pieces so far. i have checked all my levels and nothing is the matter ca 400 alk 12.5 phosphate 0 nitrite 0 nitrate0 mag 1230.. i do not see any bugs. what is one to do thinking about throwing in the towel.

MPISCIOTTI

Rating - 95%
19   1   0
forgot to say what ever is left lost its color. i did a water change 2 weeks ago going to do another one today. never had any problems like this before. most of my tyree stiff is gone. even my monti digita is dieing they are super hardy.

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
How old are your light bulbs? Is your skimmer pulling anything out of the water? Anychance one of your powerheads or even another piece of equipment is either rusting or sending stray voltage into the tank? Are all of your PH's working? Has any of your fish started nipping at your corals? Any angels in the tank?

Don't pack it in.

MPISCIOTTI

Rating - 95%
19   1   0
my bulbs are about 7 months old. my skimmer is fine i clean the cup out every 3 days. my fish are all fine. as far as pumps i use 2 genx pcx 30 external pumps. with a seio 1500 ph. i have noticed my ph has need much lower then usual as low as 7.7 cant figure out why either have not changed anything on mt set up still use my mrc ca reactor. and use kalk for top off.. still using my deltec skimmer which works fine..

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Mike, If you have loguls make a strong dip. Place a coral showing recession in the dip and hit it a few times with the turkey baster. The AEFW's are very small. They almost look like small pieces of plastic coming off the coral. I lost almost all my SPS to these SOB's and I had no idea why.
If your corals don't have AEFW's check for stray voltage in the water, check the seio PH isn't leaking oil, and test your salt. A few guys have been having problems with seachem reef salt.

cjdevito

Grue
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
i have noticed my ph has need much lower then usual as low as 7.7 cant figure out why either have not changed anything on mt set up still use my mrc ca reactor. and use kalk for top off.. still using my deltec skimmer which works fine..

Going to take a guess here, based on that pH level, and say it may be CO2 related. Several years ago I knew of a guy who had a similiar problem, eventually diagnosed by Eric Borneman. That guy didnt run a calcium reactor, but had his tank in a room with poor ventilation, no windows, and he and his wife were both heavy smokers. Eric suggested placing an air pump at the nearest window, connected to an air line within the tank and that did the trick. Within hours his pH level shot back up to around where it should have been.

Since you do run a calcium reactor, when I see a pH level that low the first thing I think of is excess CO2. Just a guess, though.

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
Mike,

AL good points here and I would try airating your water a little more - airstone in the sump or better surface agitation - and then remedy the cu;prit -C02 like Devito says

Personally I would better adjust your levels - while sps are tolerant to higher levels of alk they are less tolerant to lower and hgher levels of what combines thier chemistry success - meaning that 12.5 alk and 1230 mg is a wide swing - I would dial them closer to 10.0 alk and 1350 mg and lift your calcium to 450 if you can.

Have you tested your effluent? ALso, check for bugs like everyone else is saying - AEFW are bad but colonies don't usually go in a days time.

House

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
even my monti digita is dieing they are super hardy

This is not from flat worms, something else is wrong.
still its not a bad idea to check for the aefw's anyway.

Mike good luck, I hope you find what's causing this and stop it.

aaron23

!THE ULTIMATE REEFER!
Rating - 98.3%
234   4   0
if its not the AEFW, old tank syndrome.... uh oh ;\. sorry for all of this trouble. Hope everything goes well.

MPISCIOTTI

Rating - 95%
19   1   0
my levels have been the same for a long time everything expect my ph that is the only thing that has changed recentley.. i have always had a hi alk 12.5 and my ca has always been 400 mag at 1230. how would i go about raising my ca and lowering my alk. i wonder i have changed the kalk i was using because no local store has the esv. so i started to use kent. since then i have had the problems with my ph..

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: