Dan_P

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for this info.

Since yesterday, I decided that a video would be more interesting to look at. I am also toying with the idea of adding pictures showing the evolution of the tank. Stay tuned...

Dan_P

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went 100% Long Island Sound material. Of course, I am careful about tne amount of granite I dump into the aquarium. I caught everything with a big aquarium net (6x8 in opening) with a two foot handle which I drag through the water along the bottom and through the seaweed. I collect at low tide. The clam diggers are always curious about my technique. Unlike Paul_B, I have collected hardly any amphipods. Probably the wrong environment.

Happy to answer all your questions.

Dan_P

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cool, where did you get the crabs from, and do you think whey will be good for Reef tanks?

Crabs were collected at low tide in a place with a lot of "seaweed" at Calf Pasture Beach in Norwalk, CT. I used a big aquarium net to trawl the bottom.

These crabs come from relatively cool water, so, I am not sure if living at reef tank temperatures would harm them.

vio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
271   3   0
Crabs were collected at low tide in a place with a lot of "seaweed" at Calf Pasture Beach in Norwalk, CT. I used a big aquarium net to trawl the bottom.

These crabs come from relatively cool water, so, I am not sure if living at reef tank temperatures would harm them.

Just , tell me , what kind ,of light fix. u use now, i will be happy to donate, some frags. I have some frags for u. Some may look bad, some NOT. Vio

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
The items in your video are the most common in Long Island and very easy to collect. The pipefish are much more common on the south shore but you occasionally see them in the Sound. I have been keeping a local tank almost all my life and am going to my collection place tomorrow with some people. I actually go to this tide pool almost every week. The snails will live forever as will starfish. Urchins live a year or two and are also much more available on the south shore. I don't have great luck keeping local pipefish because they eat live food constantly. Maybe you will have better luck. You can also collect rock crabs as those are our coolest crabs and at night you can find a pink polka dot crab. I am not sure what kind they are and are not easy to find.
You are legally allowed to collect anything as long as it is not a food fish or sport fish.
I used to have an urchin collection business and tried to get a permit. The EPA didn't know what an urchin was so I don't need a permit. You can't collect flounders, fluke, lobsters, blue claw crabs, clams, mussels, oysters, stripped bass, seabass or the babies of those creatures. Blowfish live well and like searobins get large very quickly but they are easy to keep.

Hard to find but very hardy.

These guys are very cool and will grow 3" a season.

Dan_P

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are pipefish all over the place here in Norwalk. I could have collected two dozen in half an hour. Also, it is easier to get a net full of very small grass shrimp these days than amphipods.

Pipefish pretty quickly come to recognize frozen mysis shrimp as food. I got the idea to try mysis shrimp from an online article about feeding sea horses.

I am aware of the ban on collecting game fish. You can collect shell fish but you need a special license.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: