inkblue

Rice Planter
Rating - 98.6%
145   2   0
...after I got some fragS that weRe heaviLy infested with aptasia, i deCided to taCkLe the probLem ratHer than run away from it.

i reaD a bunCh of tHreads here and taLked to some retaiLers onLine and deCided to use the cheapEst method i couLd find: copperband and peppermint shRimps.

i bouGHt one smaLL copperBand and 2 peppeRmint sHRimps from h20 and requested tHEm NOT to feed them.

i put thEm in a quarantinE taNk with the infested frags and waited.

tW0 dayS of no feeding... nothing.

then on the tHird nite, as iF by maGic, 90% of the aptaSias were gonE!

tHey had eatEn ALL of the smaller ones, and onLy a few of the bigger oneS remained.

;) juSt wantEd to share my experience/eXperiment.

Craig

120 Club Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I'm going to hold onto the pepperint killing team for a few more weeks just to make sure all aiptasia are gone. I got them from House of Fish. They still have more available for a very reasonable price.

scarf_ace1981

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
i had some manjano in my 40br. i had first purchased a peppermint and then when i got rid of him i purchased a CBB. i don't who or when it occured but when i was breaking down the tank last week i realized there were no more manjano or aptasia.

ink i'm glad that worked out for you

TimberTDI

Recovering Lurker
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
FastUno waNts my GUARATEED killErS... ;) he aLready dibb'd tHem !

I think someone has some
regrets.gif

for not trying this method, before pulling the trigger.

jcurry

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to starve the CBB or peps, if their going to eat the aptasia they will do it no matter what. You can't starve a fish into eating something else and in the process you may lose a fish that would have otherwise have lived. It took my CBB 2-3 months before it started eating aptasia in my tank but once it did they were gone in a few weeks.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I agree with jcurry not feeding the cbb is a big NO NO.

These are very delicate fish and need all the help they can get if they are going to adapt to your tank. Begin by offering them mysis, they should love that. If they are going to eat the aptasia they will you can't stave them into eating it.

I had a small CBB that cleared all the small aptasia off my super infected rocks after two weeks all that was left were some of the larger ones that I can kalk.

From the moment I got the CBB I offered it mysis, it took maybe one day for it to begin eating it, now it gobbles it up and will eat out of my hand. I have since placed the CBB into my aptaisa free 120 and it's eating my special frozen fish blend :)

DON'T STARVE THE CBB'S :smash:

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
[FONT=&quot]Two days ago I got small rock with lollypop button polyps. Today I have realized that I have unwanted hitchhikers - to small aptasia mixed in between the polyps. I have Banded Cleaner shrimp in my 120 mixed reef tank.
Does anyone know if I can create a problem for Peppermint by adding it to the tank?[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
[FONT=&quot]Two days ago I got small rock with lollypop button polyps. Today I have realized that I have unwanted hitchhikers - to small aptasia mixed in between the polyps. I have Banded Cleaner shrimp in my 120 mixed reef tank. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Does anyone know if I can create a problem for Peppermint by adding it to the tank?[/FONT]

My coral banded has not kill any of my peppermint shrimps yet but who knows months later. FYI they have been together for 3, 4 months.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: