barebucta

Rating - 96.3%
26   1   0
Alright guys,

I'm attempting to uprage from a 75 to 180+ gallon tank. I know it's frowned upon to take the deep sand bed from my 75 and mix it with new sand and put it into the 180+ tank, but how about if I rinse out the sand and transfer it during the cycling period? Only reason I'm asking is because Mel (melevsreef.com) took some sand from a 120 gallon tank that a friend had when he was setting up this 200+ gallon tank and it seemed to work for him. If this solution won't work then can someone suggest something to me? I would hate to "waste" all of that perfectly good sand and funds are limited so I really didn't want to purchase new sand. Has anyone did what I metioned above and had success? Suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
The cost of new sand should be a minor consideration, compared to the other expenditures needed when upgrading from 75 to 180+ tank.

Take a few cups, at most, of the old sand to seed to new sandbed.

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
345   0   0
The cost of new sand should be a minor consideration, compared to the other expenditures needed when upgrading from 75 to 180+ tank.

Take a few cups, at most, of the old sand to seed to new sandbed.

Yup. If sand's gonna make the budget tight, maybe ya should rethink going that big. Like Dean said I would use only a few cups.

BTW do you have all the equipment for the new tank?

chuck

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just wondering is there any articles that you know of addressing this subject?
I'm planning on doing a upgrade from a 55 -120 tank is 1 yr old and the current sand bed is really active with life, I hate to lose most of my critters in upgrading. I was planing on taking about 1 inch off the top and transfering it to the new tank. do you see a problem doing that?
thanks
chuck

samster

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
i honestly don't understnad why you shouldn't carry old sand cause it creates some type of bad gas right? but what about the livesand that you purchase from the LFs in the bag when u open it up it stinks and crap lols and its been in water in a bag for god knows how long

barebucta

Rating - 96.3%
26   1   0
Yup. If sand's gonna make the budget tight, maybe ya should rethink going that big. Like Dean said I would use only a few cups.

BTW do you have all the equipment for the new tank?

Kris-not that the budget is so tight I can't afford to upgrade, I'd rather watch the pennies and spend a few bucks on the important stuff, (i.e. bugger skimmer etc). Not only that, I like to take my time an plan the project so taht I don't make the same mistakes as with my 75. My thing is that I'd hate for the sandbed to go to waste (Chief-the sand bed is approx 4" and has been that way for about 1 1/2 years). The major cost is going to be the tank/stand. have some MH/atinics I've been waiting to set up but did some thinking and I'd rather set them up on a bigger tank. No one suggests running the sand through some water for a rinse? Plus won't verything be pretty much neutralized after teh cycle is over (i.e. nitrates/rites/ammonia etc). ???

barebucta

Rating - 96.3%
26   1   0
i honestly don't understnad why you shouldn't carry old sand cause it creates some type of bad gas right? but what about the livesand that you purchase from the LFs in the bag when u open it up it stinks and crap lols and its been in water in a bag for god knows how long

Interesting point. What do you guys think about the above?

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
345   0   0
That is why most people DONT buy that crap:tongue1:

Tru story^^^^^^^

Bare Bucta(is bucta what a trini person would think bucta meant :teeth:, if it isn't don't mind me),
What about flow in the tank, thats gonna be a major part of it too. As for rinsing the sand, you're gonna have to extremely dedicated to washing it out to get everything out. 4.5 inches of sand thats been in there for 1.5 years I wouldn't risk it. If it was like a month or something similar then maybe. With a DSB you could do what Jawwad does; Start off at like 3inches and every 6 months add another half inch to the tank until you get where you want to be.

samster

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
alright that is crap that i dont buy also lol. how bout thisone? the sand that we use comes from seas or beaches right? meaning they gotten wet before? with sea water? i mean if you rinse it in fresh water and let it bake in the sun anything would be dead no? its jsut the troublesome of doing so and makes people wnana go with new sand?
only reason being that we cant just pick up the sand and dump it directly into the new tank is because the still sand smells like poop? and has some type of gases in there? but i seen guys like wingo -=X sorry dude lols mix his tank around to clean and tells me the corals love the lil things floatin around he creates lol and his tanks are fine no? wha happends from the gases from the sand? cant he just recycle his new tank? if he dumps in the old sand bed? people just preffer new sand bed because of the time and stuff spent on rinsin it?? hmmmmmmmmmmm i belive i had read many threads with people carry old sand over or movin the tank and placin sand in a bucket and pourin it back in doesnt that create releasin the same gases?

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
Interesting point. What do you guys think about the above?

I think that bag had expired. They usually have an expiration date on it. I purchased a bag of live sand when I set up my first tank. I remember that it smelled like the ocean. The only reason I wouldn't go that route on a bigger tank, is its cost.

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
alright that is crap that i dont buy also lol. how bout thisone? the sand that we use comes from seas or beaches right? meaning they gotten wet before? with sea water? i mean if you rinse it in fresh water and let it bake in the sun anything would be dead no? its jsut the troublesome of doing so and makes people wnana go with new sand?
only reason being that we cant just pick up the sand and dump it directly into the new tank is because the still sand smells like poop? and has some type of gases in there? but i seen guys like wingo -=X sorry dude lols mix his tank around to clean and tells me the corals love the lil things floatin around he creates lol and his tanks are fine no? wha happends from the gases from the sand? cant he just recycle his new tank? if he dumps in the old sand bed? people just preffer new sand bed because of the time and stuff spent on rinsin it?? hmmmmmmmmmmm i belive i had read many threads with people carry old sand over or movin the tank and placin sand in a bucket and pourin it back in doesnt that create releasin the same gases?

confused-thumb.jpg

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
If you really want to re-use the sand, after you take out everything in the tank, except the sand, dig deep into the sand and smell it. If it smells like rotten eggs, and I mean REALLY rotten, then you have a better idea of what you have to do. :)

barebucta

Rating - 96.3%
26   1   0
If you really want to re-use the sand, after you take out everything in the tank, except the sand, dig deep into the sand and smell it. If it smells like rotten eggs, and I mean REALLY rotten, then you have a better idea of what you have to do. :)

Yea Ming I remeber our conversation you advised me on that. :) I wanna see what Samster does with his tank first (Hope you don't mind Sam).

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 96.3%
26   1   0
JMO ,,if you are upgrading to a 180gal tank ,why risk a few more $$ to get new sand ,you will sleep in peace and know you started you 180 from scratch.

you are spending all this money to upgrade,,you stated you want to save the pennies ,but what if ,and i mean WHAT IF ,it doesnt work out ,then what ,start over again.

I say get new sand ;)

charile1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
I'm starting a new tank as well. Where's a good place to buy new sand?

Barebucta, sorry the hijack but it will help if you decide to buy new sand. :)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: