Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
I got out of the hobby about 5 years ago, not by choice, apartment had only 2 old screw in 15 amp fuses for the whole place. I am now having a custom 250 built and I have a few questions.

I am looking at return pumps and questioning 1 large vs 2 smaller pumps and looking for thoughts on this.
I was looking at the reef octopus hy-5000's but ran into an issue of what the real head loss on the pumps are. On most websites that sell the pump they have a chart showing at 5ft it will produce 650gph while on reef octopus' site shows close to double that at around 1200gph. If it is really 650 and I get 2 not enough flow.

Also I have my old 90 gallon RR and was going to run that as a sump but felt it was too tall for under the stand. Do you thing a 55 gallon would work temporarily. I have not anytime looking into custom sumps but may want get one eventually.

I also have 2 skimmer choices 1 in sump and 1 external. H&S 150-F2001 and a D.A.S. EX-2 external. Which would you run?

Currently the tank is being built and should be here in early April.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Greg

Some pics
tankbuildsmall.jpg

stand2.jpg

thirty6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
welcome back into hobby, seema like a nice build in the works

two pumps would provide you with some comfort if one pump run into a prob one would hopefully still be running. no experience with pumping from basement to above floor with any pumps so cant help with that. lots of builds here are fortunate for that type of setup should be easy to figure out

Last edited:

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
welcome back, i think you'll be ok with the 55.
i would look for an accurate flow chart for that pump, or choose another. but i would go with one pump to run tank and reactors.
why can't you put your sump off to the side of the stand, being that its an in wall.

thirty6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
putting the sump off to the side is a pretty good idea for a few reasons. the head less is far less, skimmer and equipment height is non issue, and the maintenance is quick and easy. i have to crawl halfway into my stand to change filter socks. from that picture it looks like you have plenty of usable space, not sure what else that area is for but something i would consider doing.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
putting the sump off to the side is a pretty good idea for a few reasons. the head less is far less, skimmer and equipment height is non issue, and the maintenance is quick and easy. i have to crawl halfway into my stand to change filter socks. from that picture it looks like you have plenty of usable space, not sure what else that area is for but something i would consider doing.

Unfortunately to the left of the stand is a closet and to the right is my fresh rodi water and then a slop sink so I can go left or right it will have to go under the stand which is about 38" high.

edd, I did look at the manufactures website but it twice as much as any of their resellers site. I would actually have to assume that their own website is wrong if the pump is 1450 gph they are saying its loosing only 200gph after 5 feet.
http://www.reefoctopus.com/Upload/curve-22421417218.jpg
all other online resellers show this chart
http://premiumaquatics.com/prodimages/coralvue/WB5000-chart.jpg

I tried calling the manufacturer but their closed due to Mardi Gras. What a company to work for.

I know that some others here have recommended darts but it seems it may be too much at around 3000gph. I will eventually be putting in 2 vortech mp40wes as well.
I also not sure how much loss I will have as the tank has 4 1" returns so with all the plumbing the dart may work, I know the angled pvc causes backpressure as well.

thirty6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
38" is sweet, it didnt look that high from the pic. I miss having my slop sink next to tank, made water changes a breeze!
do you have access panels from on the viewable side of the tank? someone had mentioned it to me when i did my inwall build and not being handy i didnt do them, and of course after the fact i wish i had

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
38" is sweet, it didnt look that high from the pic. I miss having my slop sink next to tank, made water changes a breeze!
do you have access panels from on the viewable side of the tank? someone had mentioned it to me when i did my inwall build and not being handy i didnt do them, and of course after the fact i wish i had

It's 38" but using a 2x8 has reduced the access underneath to about 31".
Also for the front side access panels why do you feel you need them?

Thanks MikeC I will post it there when it gets delivered and set up.

thirty6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
It's 38" but using a 2x8 has reduced the access underneath to about 31".
Also for the front side access panels why do you feel you need them?

Thanks MikeC I will post it there when it gets delivered and set up.

It would have made maintenance a little easier is all, not a must just a nice benefit. I didnt care for working on the tank from behind and behind short was usually on a step stool while doing anything. We moved from that house and current tank isn't in wall. I find it easier to work on tank from the front, but was something I never considered when i had set the in wall up. Once it was up and running, wasn't going to happen

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well after several delays and a change to have them build me a stand. I finally got my tank up and running.

My biggest issue right now is micro-bubbles galore. I think I need to redesign my sump. Just not sure which way to go, as I thought I set it up properly.
3 bubble traps 1.5" apart and the middle one 1.5" off the bottom. Maybe I should go 2" all around?

Any ideas would be appreciated. I am using a 75 gallon tank as a sump.

Below is a pic of sump and back of tank and then the tank itself.
backoftank.jpg

Tank with just Actinics

actinics.jpg

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: