barebucta

Rating - 96.3%
26   1   0
Hey Guys,

Denos I seen you did it to yours on the skimemr thread, but whats the purpose of adding a gate valve mod to the ASM Skimmers? Benefits/Setbacks? It it better than the other modifications? (i.e. recirculation mod etc.) I read the explanation on ASMSKIMMERS.COM and wanted some input from those who did it. Kris I know you did the recirculation mod.

Last edited:

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
I have the Euro-Reef, similar to the ASM, and did the gate value mod to it. It lets me control the amount of water in the skimmer a lot better than using the riser tube. I'm able to dial in the skimmer much better and produce the type of skim, wet or dry, must easier then before. Also because of the design of my sump the skimmer was sitting deep in the water and without the gate value mod I couldn't get hardy any skim. The only problem that I see is that it does take up space in your sump, so you need to take that into account.

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
whats the purpose of adding a gate valve mod to the ASM Skimmers? Benefits/Setbacks?

Marrone answered this perfectly for me.

It it better than the other modifications? (i.e. recirculation mod etc.)

Since they serve different functions, you really can't say which is better. The recirculation mod increases contact time improving the skimmer's overall efficiency...or something like that :eek:

I haven't performed the recirculation mod due to a bout of laziness :rolleyes:, but it's on my to-do list.

barebucta

Rating - 96.3%
26   1   0
On another note, what do you guys think of teh Sedra 5000 pump that the G3 comes with? I'm assuming that 5000 means 500GPH? If so can it be replaced with lets say a mag 7 instead? Any benefits/setbacks?

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
On another note, what do you guys think of teh Sedra 5000 pump that the G3 comes with? I'm assuming that 5000 means 500GPH? If so can it be replaced with lets say a mag 7 instead? Any benefits/setbacks?

The Sedra pump that comes with an ASM skimmer has had its impellar replaced with a needlewheel impellar to break up any air bubbles that pass through. It also comes with a venturi attachment to allow bubbles into the impellar 'chamber'. A mag 7 pump would lack both necessary components. Consider upgrading the Sedra 5000 to a Sedra 9000.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: