James

Zen-Reefer
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
http://www.reefs.com/blog/2014/03/13/25-best-aquariums-america/#more-34294

I know I am biased and haven't been to many of these aquariums but the fact that they put the NY Aquarium on that list at all (not to mention leaving out a small but world-class operation at LI Aquarium and Exhibition Center) forces me to dismiss this list as a very shoddy effort. Steinhart at #7 let me think they were in the right direction and it went downhill from there. Just my opinion. Thoughts?

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
James! How have you been? I actually thought the same thing when I saw Coney Island Aquarium on that list. Atlantis should be on the list way before them.

Clink51

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
i was just about to post about this, though on nudibar LOL. the only thing that NY Aquarium has on others, other than its age, is the gangster seals who have piercings, tattoos and still drink 40's

Yeah I was going to post the same comment on the article. It's surprising how NY Aquarium is on there over Atlantis and even Mystic Aquarium. I mean maybe after the supposedly extravigant renovations but definitely not now. My girlfriend and I went to both Atlantis and NY Aquarium two years ago, and we did not like NY Aquarium at all, we said we wouldn't go back, waste of time and money.

carlpica

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Atlantis aquarium is not in America though is it? I agree that Mystic should be in there way before NY Aquarium. I went to the NY aquarium this summer. It was overcrowded and took me about 20 minutes to view everything they had. It took us longer to park then to walk through it. NY aquarium shouldn't even be in the top 25. I think the Bronx zoo probably has more aquariums and marine animals...

oh207

Advanced Reefer
Apex Freak
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
I've seen 4 of the aquariums on the list and I'm surprised to see NY Aquarium on there. A few years ago I went to Minnesota and saw the Mall of America aquarium and think that its easily better than some of these.
And I agree that if NY Aquarium is on the list, then Atlantis should definitely be ahead of them...way ahead.
I go to both aquariums every summer. I like NY Aquarium experience because there are other things I can do while there. There is the coney island boardwalk, rides, and the beach! I usually walk the entire aquarium in 30 minutes or less. Its just a different experience than Atlantis. And that doesn't make the aquarium part better.

Widdy

Vendor
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
Atlantis aquarium is not in America though is it? I agree that Mystic should be in there way before NY Aquarium. I went to the NY aquarium this summer. It was overcrowded and took me about 20 minutes to view everything they had. It took us longer to park then to walk through it. NY aquarium shouldn't even be in the top 25. I think the Bronx zoo probably has more aquariums and marine animals...

Atlantis Marine World, now called Long Island Aquarium and Exhibition Center is located in Riverhead, Long Island. The name probably had you thinking of Atlantis Resorts in Bahamas?

http://www.longislandaquarium.com/

Once you've been to Georgia Aquarium, there's no coming back!

carlpica

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Atlantis Marine World, now called Long Island Aquarium and Exhibition Center is located in Riverhead, Long Island. The name probably had you thinking of Atlantis Resorts in Bahamas?

Once you've been to Georgia Aquarium, there's no coming back!

LOL, yes I was thinking of the Bahamas. I will have to check out that aquarium. Bit of a hike from Westchester to Riverhead, though it looks worth the trip.

Next time I am down south will have to check out Georgia as well.

Jhoehlein

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Was thinking the same thing when I read through it. My guess is they were pulling from a list of best attended aquariums, which would put Georgia and Shedd right on top, push the fantastic Steinhart and Monterey down, include duds like NY, and exclude great aquariums in remote locations like Mystic and Long Island.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: