oh207

Advanced Reefer
Apex Freak
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Hey MR,
A while back I started to map out some of the LFS in Long Island and after reading all of the LFS threads the past couple of weeks, I wanted to share this map which I use regularly. When I was setting up my tank I visited 2-3 stores a week to chat with the staff, investigate the best tank for my needs, the best equipment and setup, and of course livestock.
This map has come in handy since then and has evolved to make navigating around Long Island very worthwhile because it allows for a quick stop off at a LFS. Especially when you drive alot and you are unfamiliar with current location relevant to any LFS. I use my Android phone and Google Maps exclusively for GPS navigation (its better than my Garmin and the built in GPS). I can pull this map up from current location and overlay LFS points and click on one to navigate to their location.
For instance, stuck in traffic on the LIE? No problem, pull the map up from your favorite Android device and navigate to the closest store.
Stuck on the SSP? See above.
Taking the family to the mall shopping or doing grocery shopping?
Drop them off and visit the closest LFS. Or better yet, take them with you.
Visiting the in-laws?
Taking the significant other to dinner and would like to find restaurants that are close-by to LFS, thus allowing for a quick stop?
....scratch this one off the list...each time I try it I get heat for it.

Check the link out and share your LFS. Please don't make this a thread about how or why your LFS is better than mine. BTW, I visited stores in Queens, Brooklyn, and Orlando, FL and wanted to create a similar map or maybe expand to this one, but I never got around to it. Some of these stores may be out of business, change names, etc...

https://goo.gl/maps/DoYIb

Last edited:

PhoenixOne

"Drugs are bad...mmmkay!"
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice!!! Thanks for sharing. VERY useful.

There are a few that were missed on the map...

Aquarium Design Network
296 E Jericho Turnpike, Huntington Station, NY 11746

Selmer's Pets
125 E Jericho Turnpike,SouthHuntington , NY 11746

Fish Life Aquariums (Recently opened)
221 waltwhitman rd, Huntington Station, New York 11746

Last edited:

oh207

Advanced Reefer
Apex Freak
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Nice!!! Thanks for sharing. VERY useful.

There are a few that were missed on the map...

Aquarium Design Network
296 E Jericho Turnpike, Huntington Station, NY 11746

Selmer's Pets
125 E Jericho Turnpike,SouthHuntington , NY 11746

Fish Life Aquariums (Recently opened)
221 waltwhitman rd, Huntington Station, New York 11746

Thanks. I've added these to the live Google map and updated the post.

wharris

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the map is also missing total aquariums on the south shore. im not sure on the exact location but i go there a lot. they have some good stuff fish and invert wise. they could have a bigger coral selection. but its a pretty good shop imo.

oh207

Advanced Reefer
Apex Freak
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Map has been updated. With the most recent update of Google Maps on Android it appears that Google has brought back the map overlay function. Google had this support a couple of years ago and dropped it...it appears to be back in the latest version.

Also, somehow Google (or me) lost the URL shortener that I created in the first post. So I had to create another short URL.

This Map can be overlay to find directions to a LFS.
https://goo.gl/4BjTHM

[/QUOTE]

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Map has been updated. With the most recent update of Google Maps on Android it appears that Google has brought back the map overlay function. Google had this support a couple of years ago and dropped it...it appears to be back in the latest version.

Also, somehow Google (or me) lost the URL shortener that I created in the first post. So I had to create another short URL.

This Map can be overlay to find directions to a LFS.
https://goo.gl/4BjTHM

[/QUOTE]
Wow! Great work

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: