powder blue 3000

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would appreciate if MR members share their experience with running a UV. Please specify tank size, fowlr, mix tank and what have the results yield. Please specify brand and wattage.

sporty

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I haven't notice too much with the exception that I havent lost a fish in a while. I don't run it constantly i shut it down for weeks to months at a time .My tank is mixed (corals and fishes with lots of live rock.)

drunktank

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
they are useful for clearing up water. They tend to make ur water quality better b/c they eliminate any free floating algae/ bacteria in ur water. However there is no proof that it kills ick, so dont expect to use it as a means of QT. It can only really kill stuff thats in the water. It needs a slow to moderate flow to do its job as well. If ur looking for suggestions on which brand to buy, i never had any problems w/ my coralife ones- easy to clean and replace bulb.

powder blue 3000

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drunktank what size is ur tank? wattage on the UV, and how often is it running? yeah im planning on purchasing one did some research on running a UV and its getting confusing :splitspin like everything else in this hobby. I think what works for me, research and a combination of fellow reefers personal experience combine the two cross my fingers and hope for the best :tongue1: :tongue1:

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
I don't run a UV on my reef tank as I understand they are not recommended for use on any new tank since they kill both good & bad bacteria (not all, but some) and therefore extend the cycling process.

I use the Coralife Turbo Twist 9 W model and have run them on my 55 G Oscar tank & on any other tank where I develop an algae bloom and it clears them in a matter of a few days.
I used the same model on my 1700 G pond ealier this year after it warmed up too fast & I developed an algae issue. Though this was undersized for the volume of water, it cleared within 2 weeks and then my plants finally kicked in & have kept it clear all season.

Most important info I can say on them it to keep the sleeve clean (use vinegar) and change the bulb yearly.
Would definitely suggest you order the fittings when you purchase it. I had a heck of a time hooking it up as the fitting choices were limited to 1/2 or 5/8. I had to go to an auto parts store to get the 5/8 (reducer to 1/2) since I couldn't find them elsewhere.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: