vanceny

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
For those who have upgraded their tanks, and I know there are many, did you all drip acclimate the corals and live rock before adding it to the new tank?

I have the tank set up already with sand, base rock and 2 pieces of live rock from my existing tank. I also added a few cups of sand from the old tank. The new tank has been running for about 3 weeks now. I've also done water changes by tanking water from the new tank and exchanging it with the old tank. Not sure if that does any good since I don't think the bacteria is in the water column. I figure this would be sort of a way of acclimating. I exchange about 4 gallons a day. The old tank is a 29gal with a 20gal sump. I figure with all the rock and sand I have about 35gal of total volume. If I keep the exchange going for about another week I should have most of the water switched out.

btw, the new tank is a 90gal with a 55gal sump/fuge. :biggrin:

So back to the main question. What are your experiences with upgrades? Inquiring minds would like to know (me).

Thanks all.

V

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I would! to be on the safe side ,You are adding new water that might change water parameters .corals i would do a temp acclimation and a quick drip ,but fish iwould do for atleast an hr or so

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
I would do this, Slowly make sure the water parameters in the new tank and the old tank are exact. PH Nitrate, Nitrite, Amonia, SG, Temp, ETC. Then I would transfer the livestock over as carefully as possible. This is what I did when I upgraded from my 29 to my 55.

vanceny

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
yep, that's what I'm trying to accomplish with the water exchanges. I was thinking that the earlier I move the live rock over the less likely there will be a cycle.

vanceny

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I guess the only problem with that is that most of my coral is attached to the rock. I only have a tomato clown and a bunch of snails left since the black out.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: