thepudge

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Hi all, I am currently running a remora on my 46 bowfront.. It works OK, but I have a feeling I could stand to upgrade. I don't have a sump, so I was wondering what suggestions you could offer. I know the deltec are the best HOBs, but do I have other options?

Thanks,

Alex

fritz

OG of this here reef game
Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
Why do you think you need to upgrade? All skimmers hit a point where they don't skim so much out of your tank anymore. If your skimmer hasn't hit that point then yes you do need to upgrade. IE: If you are pulling full cups of nasty out constantly then yes your skimmer can't keep up with your bio-load. If it's just not pulling out much skimmate then you may not have that high of a bioload and therefor don't need to upgrade. (you can't pull out what isn't there)

For example I ran a remora on a 55 and it pulled about as much as my ASM G2 pulls on my 58. I fed them the same and they were stocked the same. The ASM is a better skimmer but each tank only has so much DOC that can be skimmed out. If you put a Bubble King on your tank it would produce only as much skimmate as was there to begin with.

Hope that made sense. :)

Last edited:

thepudge

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Definately, thanks for your advice everyone. My Remora just doesnt seem to pull out that much gunk, maybe on average the cup fills about 1/3-1/2 way per week (I try to clean the cup every week) Maybe there's just not that much skimmate to get out of the tank.

fritz

Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
That's what it is, you're well within the scope of size that a remora can handle. Going bigger will just get you the same amount of skimmate. If you REALLY want more skimmate you can feed more. Try dosing phyto (I like the spray dried stuff, it won't give you phosphate issues like the liquids can.) Phyto will get pulled out and give you nice green skimmate. Just shut your skimmer off for a little while when you first feed it so that your animals can get some before it gets skimmed out.

Also do you skim wet or dry? Going a little wetter may get you more over time because you won't have to clean the tube as often. If you skim dry you have to clean the tube which then will have a few days to break in again and can (overall) cause you to skim less.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Fritz, I hear what you're saying but there is no way a remora will reach a level where it has skimmed out all DOC's. Good skimmers skim all the time with the exception of feedings + skin oils etc. which colapse the foam. In a closed system, even with a light bioload, you could never skim out all the DOC's. If your skimmer isn't skimming try cleaning the neck or air intake etc...

The pudge, use your water parameters to determine if you need a better skimmer. What is your nitrate and phosphate levels? Which brand testkits?

fritz

Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
I'm not a fan of pushing more water through because it will shorten you contact time. More water isn't necesarily better. The mag pumps are offered on the Remora Pro line which is a larger skimmer. On their EV series you can use larger pumps because they have gate valves so you can regulate how much water actually flows through it and thus how long the water stays in the skimmer. With a remora you can't do that. More water in will equal more water out but with the same amount (if not much less) contact time. Contact time is where all the "skimming" happens. Your "big boy" skimmers are good because of contact time, not necesarily the size of the pumps.

Also a mag 3 will only add about 50 GPH to your current setup and mag pumps will add a few degrees in warmth as well (plus they're big for a HOB). If you're intent on spending your money pick up a MJ400 and add some additional flow, or drill your tank and add a refugium.

Last edited:

thepudge

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I forget the brand of my nitrate and phosphate kit.. But as long as I keep my phosban fresh my Nitrates and phosphates are undetectable.

I still see some hair algae from time to time though, so there has to be some DOC left in the water. I dunno, its weird. I don't need one, really.. my tank is healthy, algae is under control.. but I feel this irresistable urge to get a bigger skimmer.

whats wrong with me!?

fritz

Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
Ask around there are plenty of "Bigger is not [FONT=&quot]necessarily[/FONT] better" stories.

Dude if you must go larger save for an upgrade. Get a drilled tank (or drill yours) and add in a sump or fuge or both.

I should add that I've upgraded my skimmer twice in the last three months :) so I hear ya.

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
fritz, you're wrong with the remora's - pushing more water actually makes the spray injector work better on the remoras - the only problem with Craigs recommendatio (although a good one) is that the standrd remora doesn't have the size to support the Mag3 - the remora Pro is larger than the remora and allows for more contact time, hence a better skimmer - additionally following the factory specs on cleaning the spray injector is extremely helpful with the remora - the provide you with a brush and directions on how to remove the injector access screw.

I would recommend you consider the Archipelago from bermuda aquatics - it IS a hang on skimmer that is as good as the Remora Pro, BUT is as small as the standard Remora - the patented design of the venturi with 3 outlets for the bubbles distributes the contact across the whole skimmer water column.

In agreement with Rich, however, you can never skim enough as NO skimmer gets ALL the DOC's out. You can only get as much skimmer for the size of your tank and the size of your pocketbook.

Hope this helps,

House

fritz

Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
(In regards to your hang on fuge)
I always wondered about that. I've heard so much about "they aren't big enough to matter..." but many of the fuges I see in people's sumps are of a similar volume. I guess the large on a tank your size is kind of big. That's cool and good to know.

If I were you I'd drill and get an in sump jammy :) or don't fix what aint broke.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: