bad coffee

Inept at life.
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
If you?re thinking about ordering a tank from Glass Cages/Twin Oaks Terrariums I?d read this first.

I was looking for a custom tank manufacturer for a new aquarium I am setting up. I did all the research, and found a few companies that would build the tank the way I wanted. I want a 58-gallon (36? x 18? x 21?) with low-iron (starfire/ultraclear) glass on the front and the sides. I knew this would drive up the price a bit, but since I?m doing everything custom for the tank, I figured the added expense was worth it.

I took a trip to see a ?Glass Cages? tank. A guy had a 180 built by them with a starfire front. I wanted to see the build quality, and if starfire really made a difference. The answer: Starfire is the way to go. No tint to it at all.

The build quality was okay. I?ve seen a tank from Miracles in Glass that was superb. Glass Cages work was several notches below that. Differences I noticed were, a sloppy silicone job, trim that was falling off, and edges that weren?t polished too well. At the time those little things didn?t bother me too much. I?ve trimmed dried silicone off glass before; I?ve reattached trim to an aquarium, and the edges weren?t sharp enough to cut yourself, so they would do. I wouldn?t pay top dollar for a GC tank, but if it held water that?s all I really needed.

I emailed Glass Cages on March 20th, 2006. I asked them a few questions about the tank. What thickness of glass would be used, can it be eurobraced (a glass frame around the top so I don?t have black plastic dividers across the top,) and how much to drill the holes I needed. They answered all my questions. On May 12th, I emailed them again asking for a quote on the tank, with everything I wanted. I had a quote by the next day. Since the quote they gave me was so reasonable, I decided I could upgrade the design a little more and I incorporated an external overflow into the plan. I drafted up the tank and decided where I needed all the holes to be drilled. There were going to be 7 holes in the back pane.

I sent Glass Cages an email with all the specifications and asked for a final price quote. They sent me back the final quote: $372 for everything I wanted; the tank with the holes drilled in, the extra glass pieces for the external overflow, and delivery of the tank to the July 9th reptile show in White Plains, NY.

On June 2nd, I sent Glass cages my final order- the tank as we has discussed it, and I also included drawings of the tank, and a measured drawing for the holes in the back panel. There were seven holes of varying sizes, and I wanted to make sure the correct sized holes got drilled in the correct place.

That next business day I called and gave them my credit card number to complete the order. They said they?d see me in July.

So the morning of July 9th comes and I was ready to pick up my tank. I don?t have a car, so I had to rent a van to pick it up. Uhaul didn?t have a van, so I was stuck with a 10? truck. No sweat, it?s the same price. I drove up to White Plains and met the Glass Cages truck outside the reptile show.

I took one look at my tank and knew my day was ruined. The holes were drilled incorrectly. Even though I sent them a measured drawing with hole positions and hole sizes, they made a mistake when they drilled it.

Since I?ve built things incorrectly before, I wasn?t too upset. It?s just a simple mistake that could easily be corrected. I asked them to please rebuild the tank for the next time they were coming to White Plains. It would be September 10th before I would have my new tank. I talked to Tom, the owner of Glass Cages and said that it wasn?t a big deal, as I would have time to order the rest of the supplies to set up the tank and that I?d see him in September.

I returned the truck, paid the $178.41 for the truck, $17.97 for the gas, and went home.

The following week (7/18/2006 11:30 am) I received a phone call from Glass Cages asking to confirm that I still wanted them to build me a tank and I replied that I did.

On August 1st, I called Glass Cages to confirm they were leaving the Eurobracing off the top of the tank as I had requested. I was talking to Tom and we talked about the other tank that was messed up. He said my credit card was refunded. I asked about the tank being built for September and he told me they were building it, and they would indeed leave the eurobracing off the tank. I said I?d see them in September.

September 10th-Day of the Reptile Show in White Plains. My roommate?s car was available, so I didn?t have to rent a truck! I drove up to White Plains, paying the tolls, putting gas in the borrowed car.

When I got there, and asked for my tank, the Glass Cages employees looked at me like I had two heads. They asked for my name, and went to check the paper work. They didn?t build my tank. They didn?t bother to call me and inform me they weren?t building my tank. I waited six weeks for a tank that didn?t happen. I built a stand and canopy for the tank to fit the dimensions given to me by Glass Cages in an email. When I talked to Tom (THE OWNER OF THE COMPANY) in August, he said they WERE building my tank. SO what gives? This company is so disorganized that the employees don?t even bother to build a tank that the OWNER insists is being built?

SO All told, I?m out about $500. Money for the first truck, materials to build my stand, (which I found out won?t fit a normal Oceanic 58 gallon. My stand and canopy are ?? too narrow for the Oceanic tank. I have to rebuild it if I go with an Oceanic.) Plus I?m not including my time to build the stand, and waiting for a new tank from another vendor.

So to make a long story short, I don?t recommend you order a tank from Glass Cages. They?re an awful company who put out a mediocre product. Spend the few extra bucks and go with another company. I?m pretty sure I?m not the first person who got screwed by Glass Cages. I just hope with this info you won?t get screwed as well.

If anyone doesn?t believe my story, email me at [email protected]. I?ll gladly back up any information I?ve stated.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Brett, I'm sorry to hear the headaches you've endured for this tank. I guess it stands to reason, you get what you pay for. GC is a low cost operation for a reason, as you've explained so eloquently.

I hope the saga ends there and you're able to utilize the stand I know you worked so hard on.

GL,
R

simike

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
i was very suprised to see the quality of work on pratts tank, for the amount of money spent on a large tank why was the finishing so poor, i guess that was common on all gc tanks. Trim was falling off all over the place and only slightly thicker than tape. Sloppy silicone work, even in the viewing area. it would take all of 2 minutes to at least clean up the sloppy work before they ship it out. i guess for the price the most you will get is a tank that doesnt leak.

barebucta

Rating - 96.3%
26   1   0
Wow man,

As I was reading I thought this was a story you cut/paste tat happened to someone else. It's not until I seen your e-mail address that I figured it was you that they did this to. I've seen some really horrible stories surrounding glass-cages. There is a guy on saltwaterfish.com who bought a 300 gallon tank from them that started leaking 4-6 months after he bought it. The BS about them is that they only warranty the tank for 3 months...BUT READ THE FINE PRINT ON THEIR WEBSITE. My first freshwater tank that I bought from PERFECTO had a 10 year warranty on it and I never once had a problem with them. You said it right, spend a few more bucks and buy from a reputable company. I considered buying from them but like your story I've heard some really horrible stories where customers pay these guys to build a tank to a certain spec. and GC ends up screwing up the order. Sorry to hear about the BS. The wasted day alone would have pissed me right off forget about the $$ spent. My question is what is the owner intending to do to rectify teh problem? I'm sure your house is probably cluttered with a bunch of crap in anticipation of you getting your new tank. Geez.

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
hey man, i'm sorry to hear that. all that painstaking hard work. don't let it go for nothing. are you going to even let glass cages build you a tank? or are you through with them? are they reimbursing you on all your expenses? none of it was your fault to begin with...

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Brett dude I have told you how much it sux a few times you don't have a tank, but Chaz brings up a good point, what about your expenses? Troubles? Man Hours? You should call the owner and tell him you want to be compensated for his employee's screw up's.

Again Dude it really sux good luck with your own tank.

bad coffee

Inept at life.
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
My question is what is the owner intending to do to rectify teh problem?

Nothing. There is nothing I will accept from GC. They could write me a check for $1million and I'd tear it up it their face. I certanly won't accept a tank from them.

All I can do is INFORM other people what run-around I got from them, and hope the person looking for a custom tank makes a wise decision.

Thanks for the support guys.

B

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
Brett dude I have told you how much it sux a few times you don't have a tank, but Chaz brings up a good point, what about your expenses? Troubles? Man Hours? You should call the owner and tell him you want to be compensated for his employee's screw up's.

Tom from glasscages will simply say: "Tough luck, nothing I can do.." Click.

They do not respect their customers, they think they can sell a cheap tank to anyone and you don't have to buy from them if you ask too many questions. I talked to them about building my tank and I am glad I got that feeling in the first few calls, I ended up spending more but I know the quality is better and I got exactly what I asked for.

sporty

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Brett,
Thanks for the info.This will alert other people from falling victims
and getting caught up in a similar situation.I would be really piss also;I know is not the money but the principal as well.I hope your able to use the stand that you made.

Dace

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.7%
393   1   0
Glass Cages sucks, i had a problem with them also. we should post our stories on all the reef forums possible to let them know what there getting into

PS

Glass Cages SUCK

Melt

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Never had glass cage but I had an All Glass with no problem and now I have an oceanic and will give them my money again..

very clean work
try 1000 island in brooklyn..they have some great plasma tanks

bad coffee

Inept at life.
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Brett,

Did you call to confirm delivery the day before the scheduled dates?

I didn't think I'd have to. I ordered it, I expected it to be there. Any reputable company would have had my tank there, phone call or not.

Either way, I'd be just as pissed if I called the day before an didn't have a tank. Same deal. I waited 6 weeks for nothing.

B

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
What a disaster - I didn't have that experience with my glass cages tank, but mine was pretty simple and since I was putting it in the wall where you coulnd't see any of the blems, It didn't bother me.

I wouldn't order from them again - only to support my fellow reefers who got the shaft - they should stick to WHisky and forget about tanks!

Jim

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Srry BC

I know the felling ,sad to sat :( not from glass cages but a diff company that i took to court.I won ,got my money and all the items stayed with me .At the end ,they got the shaft.

GL
Ronen

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: