Hotwheels

Hotwheels
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I'm curios... Is there a difference between the screw in type halide bulb vs. the double ended halide bulb? :type:

Looking to upgrade but, my research brings this question to mind.:scratchch

bad coffee

Inept at life.
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
yes there is a difference.

(Generally speaking)

You get more light out of a DE bulb than it's SE counterpart. Most info concludes that a 150w DE puts out about the same amount of usable light as a SE 250w.

So you can get away with running the DE's and save some on the electric bill.

The drawback is there are fewer DE bulbs to choose from. There are MANY more SE bulbs with different color temps.
I got really lucky and I REALLY like the phoenix 14kk over my tank. I have a 150w PFO pendant and an Icecap ballast.

B

Reefer420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
the SE bulbs are an older tech. than DE bulbs- I was told that because of this you can generally rely on the color of SE bulbs to be more 'true' to what they are supposed to be.

You also don't need a tempered glass sheild in front of SE bulbs (in fact doing so will block too much of the spectrum)- as the bulbs already have a glass 'sheild' built in. With DE bulbs you need glass between it and the tank, or else you will allow too much UV radiation into the tank- burning the coral/fish!

I will be putting a 20k Radium SE bulb overdriven by a 250w PFO HQI ballast over a deep 37g tank. 250w in an HQI (or double ended) bulb) would be way to much for the tank, but the overdriven SE bulb (and the fact it is 20k and not 10k or something more intense) should be perfect!

Last edited:

Hotwheels

Hotwheels
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
More selection in bulbs with SE vs. DE , but higher wattage
lower wattage with DE vs SE, but limit bulb selection

Do I have this right?

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
IMO,
DE bulbs are normally limited to pendants which has a narrow light spread for 24" + tanks.
I think you achieve more light spread from SE bulbs with the many variation of reflectors available.

But then again, they just came out with a DE version of the Lumenmax pendant.

alrha

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
i have 3x400W DE bulbs (IceCap) on my tank and i love them. They allow me to go to 20k and still have a nice bright tank and i worry less about the glass or water filtering out some of the par as i have the peace of mind knowing that i have 'extra.'

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I am definitely never going back to SE bulbs. As far as reflectors go a lot of manufacturers have taken the light spread into consideration. Icecap Pendants and also the new DE Lumenarc III pendants can definitely compete with the light spread of any SE reflector.

Currently I am using a dual 250w HQI Ballast by Bluewave (bluewave VII) on 2 Reefoptix III reflectors with Phoenix 14k bulbs. Could not be happier with the output. The colors are great! And the growth is quite good.

I just received Icecaps MH250 ballasts. Just waiting for the reflectors. Cant wait to see the difference of the magnetic ballast vs. electronic ballast on the same bulbs.

Hotwheels

Hotwheels
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
BC, Thanks for the link. I read thru a few and the theory holds true for the most part.
However, It also makes the point of bulb and ballast combination. The lighting output and power consumption due differ depending on the combination. These articles can help me determine which combination is best for my setup and get the best for my $$$$$$$

thank you MR
and please feel free to add more
Knowledge is power

Pecan,
If the light is placed to close to the tank surface this would be an issue but if it is high enough to cover the whole surface would it then be efficient?

Last edited:

Dace

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.7%
393   1   0
which one of the two ballast you have are electronic and magnetic, also do you suppliment with atinics

I am definitely never going back to SE bulbs. As far as reflectors go a lot of manufacturers have taken the light spread into consideration. Icecap Pendants and also the new DE Lumenarc III pendants can definitely compete with the light spread of any SE reflector.

Currently I am using a dual 250w HQI Ballast by Bluewave (bluewave VII) on 2 Reefoptix III reflectors with Phoenix 14k bulbs. Could not be happier with the output. The colors are great! And the growth is quite good.

I just received Icecaps MH250 ballasts. Just waiting for the reflectors. Cant wait to see the difference of the magnetic ballast vs. electronic ballast on the same bulbs.

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
The magnetic ballast is the Bluewave VII
The Electronic Ballast is the Icecap MH250

2 each

I did consider the lumenarc de but they are still quite large basically leaving me with no room for anything else. The thing with lumenarcs is that they basically are square and I dont need that much coverage since my tank is only 24" deep. I need it more length wise therefore I decided on ReefoptixIII at first and now I ordered the Icecap pendants. If I had a deeper tank (front to back) or a cube I would have definitely gone with Lumenarcs. But in my rectangular tank there was no need for it. Besides the Icecap and Reefoptix are built better. (not flimsy)

I do have T5 actinics but they are on for pre and post MH only and mainly for looks.

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
You can buy just the pendant from any ofht emajor on-line dealers, but i would try Deepwater here on the site first as I think he can get any icecap product.

I agree save for the Lumenarc's, the Icecap pendants have the best reflectors and are very well made.

Just to complicate people's decisions a little further, Icecap is now (unveiling at MACNA tomorrow:) offering the same pendants in a Mogul (SE) version. I believe the socket is adjustable for 250 or 400 Watt lamps.

Randy

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: