zaza

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I am wondering if anyone has experience of clown fishes jumping out of the tank. I lost one of my little False Percula Clownfish yesterday morning, I couldn't find him in the tank, and I thought it was strange because he always swims with the other clown, I looked every where in the tank but nothing. So I decided to look around the tank, and I found him in the floor dead :(
I am very sad for the loss, he was a very nice and happy fish, and he paired perfectly with the other clown, but now I can't stop thinking of what might have happen. The tank is covered, there are 2 tiny openings next to the filter, with enough space for the small clown to pass though, but really hard for the fish to target jump...
Any idea?

deelucky

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
i have lost one,jump out while i was smoking the cat found it,seems some thing scared it cause i never had that problem but with that one fish,but i still have an open top.sorry about the clown and welcome MR,great site great ppl,lots of fun and knowledge.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Almost all fish will jump if startled or if chased by another fish. This can happen when the lights are turned on or off or when some one walks by the tank.

Even with the best hood, that covers the whole top, it usually only takes a very small opening for a fish to jump out, and most of the time the fish will find that opening.

zaza

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Thanks to all for the replies.

Marrone, I think that I was really unlucky, or better the little clown was unlucky to find the only little opening in the tank and to jump out of it :(

I hope I won't lose anymore fishes this way, it's really sad.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: