Djbetterly

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
So I built a small fuge in my sump, it's probably 5 gallons or so. I keep running into a problem where pieces of the chaeto are getting into the rest of the sump, clogging up skimmer and return pump and eventual floating around in DT. Any thoughts on how to prevent that?

I recently took all the chaeto out and my nitrates went quite high so it was obviously doing it's job. I'd like to put it back in but the mess was a huge problem.

Anyone else have this issue?

jcdeng

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
67   0   0
I only had loose strands when I remove portions of it, I guess they are from the breakage. When you say you built a small fuge in the sump, does the chaeto sit in its own section? I think you might be able to "cage" it with some diy egg crate or small acrylic sheets with drilled holes.

Rating - 100%
227   0   0
go to arts & crafts store (ie. michaels, canal paint, etc) and get nylon mesh sheets (8x12) or ekimat or roof gutter mesh. cut a double strip length wise and place over baffle edge above water line to catch small pieces floating by. not 100%, but catches at least 95-98%. or get 1"x2" foam blocks - cut a slit length wise and place over baffle edge. this option will trap more detritus and will need cleaning more often. i used the first option with success. good luck.

PhoenixOne

"Drugs are bad...mmmkay!"
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Had the very same problem. I cut some pond netting (same one I use for my screen tops) and fashioned it into a baggy and put the Cheato in there and zip tied the ends. I bagged it loose to allow the Cheato to grow. Been doing this for about a year with no more strands clogging my skimmer and return pump.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: