meschaefer

One to Ignore
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I had started another thread on Euro Reef Skimmers as I was/am considering either the Euro Reef RS-100 or RS-135, but now I just want a reccomendation of a skimmer for a 65 gallon sps tank. I need a an insump skimmer and I would prefer a needel wheel skimmer.

I have looked at the DAS BX 1 and BX 2, the ASM G3, H&S 110-F2000, and the above referenced Euro Reefs.

meschaefer

One to Ignore
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH SHAMELESS SELF PROMOTION, if you are unwilling to promote yourself, why would you expect anyone else to.

The bermuda aquatics are beckett driven, right? I am not against beckett's but in looking around it seems that the needelwheels have a much smaller foot print and are much more efficient.

Not wanting to ignore any possibility though, how much are they going for?

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
Bermuda Aquatics BPS-3C (a shameless plug :sad2: )

741039.jpg

General Discussion threads are for dispensing and/or receiving advice, not shameless plugs.

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
I have ASM G3 on my 65g mixed reef. To effectively skim a 65g SPS tank, I would definitely do the recirculation modification, which increases the skimmer's effectiveness.

meschaefer

One to Ignore
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Quality vs the ability to "skim" vs $$$ is always a balancing act. I generally appreciate quality in everything that I buy, as long as it the price difference is resonable, and justfied.

Example, from my research the ASM G3 and the Euro Reef RS-135 are very similar in their ability to skim, but not in construction quality. As the euro reef is only $50 more, I would go with the Euro-Reef as between the two. But if the Euro Reef was twice as much as the ASM, then I would go with the ASM.

meschaefer

One to Ignore
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I have ASM G3 on my 65g mixed reef. To effectively skim a 65g SPS tank, I would definitely do the recirculation modification, which increases the skimmer's effectiveness.

What are your stocking levels? I tend to stock my tanks on the low side. For the last six months I have only had a pair of clowns in my tank, and at the most I have had a pair of clowns, a pair of cardinal fish, and a pygmy angle. I can't see ever stocking much more than that in the tank.

I was orginally looking at the ASM G3 with all the mods done by ASMSKIMMERS.COM, but it looks like they are selling out their stock, and don't have any of the G3s left.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
that was not my tilted cup, that was cali and a couple of others that go that bonus detail.

the das uses DAS pumps, which are copies of the aquabees, 38 watts each.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
The bermuda aquatics are beckett driven, right? I am not against beckett's but in looking around it seems that the needelwheels have a much smaller foot print and are much more efficient.

The Bermuda is a venturi driven skimmer. The footprint of the 3C is 6" x 7" x 23".

Deanos said:
General Discussion threads are for dispensing and/or receiving advice, not shameless plugs.

Matt's looking for viable options. The Bermuda fits his needs. Now use that ruler on someone elses tushy :tongue1:

swimmer

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
The DAS uses Aquabee 2000/1 thats re-labeled for them. The actual power consumption is less than 18 Watts each measured by a kill-a-watt meter.

I would not use any skimmer that uses uni-seal as pump connections outside of a sump, I am always afraid the whole pump coming off the skimmer.

Go for EX-2 if you don't mind taking a chance of getting a tilted cup or a cracked skimmer and price have more of importance than quality, they do skim pretty well for the price. They have recently drop their price considerably, making it more attractive to take a chance.

Another skimmer I saw at MACNA thet I liked is a ATI Bubble Master, the quality is good and uses a modified weir wheel. Reviews from Europe have been positive and price is cheaper than Deltec, H&S and BK. Reefgeek is offering 10% discount on pre-orders, they should start shipping later this year.

meschaefer

One to Ignore
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I should have mentioned this due to the space constraints under a 65 gallon tank (three foot wide), I am only considering models that can be run in sump. So If a seal does go, no promplem mon.

I went over to reefgeek and couldn't find the ATI skimmers, not even with a google site search,

What is a weir wheel, and do you need to be a Dead Head to appreciates it?

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
Zeovit.com have some pictures and reviews.

The weir wheel is basically some DLS black webbing on a flat spinner cutting the water and air, mixing up fine little bubbles.

You have to call Greg at reefgeek to pre-order and get the discount. It was a MACNA special they were offering.

meschaefer

One to Ignore
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Cali, as the skimmer guru, do you have any experience with the Euro Reef's, as I am leaning towards the Euro Reef RS-135. They seem to have some very happy owners over at RC.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: