zaza

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I was considering setting up a small refugium, using a 2.5Gallon tank I have. My community tank is a 20Gallon. I think I have 3 possibilities:

1.The best place for me to place the 2.5G tank is under nit the community tank, about 25 inc. below, but I believe that there might be problems if the power head will malfunction :(

2. Another possibility would be to place the 2.5G tank above the main tank, by mounting a shelf, I don't have space next to the tank.

3.Or I could create an inside refugium inside the community tank, using a divider placed on one side of the tank.

The main function of the refugium will be the culture of pods.

Did anyone had a similar problem, and what was your solution?

Thanks for the help :)

zaza

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
What I really would like, is to have the refugium below :)
it will have a better look than placing a shelf above, and it will be easier for me to access it, unfortunately I am not very tall :shhh:
Is there the possibility to have some sort of secutiry valve at any point, to control the flow of water in the event of a power head malfunctioning? Shall I go check out a plumbing store maybe?

DonCisco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I have a situation similar to yours, where I have a 2.5 gallon set up with some cheato and phyto strictly for pod cultures. I am going to do the pod culture as a completely separate system, because I don't have the space, for underneath true refugium. I am intending to use a 56micron screen for harvesting. I will post a link for pod culture tanks. If you are going to do the refugium under your tank, you can get a check valve from a hardware store, or plumbing supply store. They sell PVC ones that way there will be no metal leaching. Good luck and let me know how it goes.
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume_2/cav2i1/Pods/pods.htm

Last edited:

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
There is no way to be 100% sure that you won't flood. You would need an external overflow for your tank and drill it with a siphon break and drain it into the fuge then pump it back into the main tank. If I were you I would look into the CPR Hang on back refugium, its great. I have one and I love it.

Hang on
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produ...ll&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&N=2004&Nty=1

In Tank
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produ...ll&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&N=2004&Nty=1

Here are 2 examples

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Check valves in saltwater systems are very unreliable. With the buildup of saltcreep check valves are known to fail.

Like Chief said, a siphon break is the better way to go. HOT fuges like the cpr is another viable option.

R

zaza

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Thanks to all for the replies :)

I checked all those alternatives, the CRP looks like a great solution, it is very small and will fit behind my tank easily.
The inside refugium could be a nice solution too, but I am concerned with the space loss, even if small it will take a lot of space out of my 20 Gallon :(
I dropped the idea of the refugium below the tank, if the check valves are not 100% secure I don't want to risk the life of my little fishes :inlove:

I am trying to reconsider the idea of placing a shelf above the tank, and use the 2.5 gallon as a refugium, it looks bigger than the CPR, and I might add a sea horse to the refugium :)

I will post a picture of my refugium when ready

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
FYI, adding a seahorse to a refugium makes the tank a seahorse tank, not a refugium. The definition of a refugium is a safe haven where no predators lurk. Seahorses eat pods, therefore your fuge will no longer be a safe haven for your pod cultures.

swimmer

zaza

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Brendan, I will make sure the shelf will support the weight :) hopefully Home Depot will have good ones, I am so glade they opened one in manhattan :)

Swimmer, I haven't thought about the fact that the sea horse would have eat the pods...I have always liked the sea horses but I am afraid to place them in the community tank, so I tought the regium could have been a nice place :(

Will be difficult to convert the tank in a refugium or I will be better off buying one already done?

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Swimmer, I haven't thought about the fact that the sea horse would have eat the pods...I have always liked the sea horses but I am afraid to place them in the community tank, so I tought the regium could have been a nice place :(

A 'refugium' would be a very nice place for seahorses. The problem is, once you add the seahorses to the refugium it is no longer technically a refugium.

zaza said:
Will be difficult to convert the tank in a refugium or I will be better off buying one already done?

Making your own refugium is as easy as taking a tank and plumbing it into your system. You'll need a light for it, a LR rubble pile is very helpful, sandbed and macro algae. Having it above your display is great so that pods can just flow into your display without having to make the trip through a pump (getting chopped up).

swimmer

zaza

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Thanks Swimmer :) I will try to make my own refugium out of the tank. Can you suggest any web site where I can have an idea how to make it? I was searching earlier, but the one I found are not really helpful, maybe is just because they use a lot of technical words which I am not familiar with, and not enough pictures, and I like pictures :P

Hey Brendan, I didn't know a Home Depot will open up here!! It's great for me since I don't have a car :)

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Was thinking about going the same route for the ref with the CPR hang on. Then you mentioned you need lighting for it, which flew right over my head when i first looked at the fuge.

anyone have any links to mini lights i could hang on to the backpack ? or any recommendations on how to make one (size/watt)?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: