barebucta

Rating - 96.3%
26   1   0
I'm a little confused, can someone explain to me what the definition of a pressure rated pump is? I thought all pumps were pressure rated (i.e. at X amount of feet Y gallons of water is pumped). Are mag drive pumps pressure rated? :irked:

tomzpc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you look at the flow diagram for a specific pump the pressure rated pump will show a very gradual curve meaning it will remain somewhat consistent even after introducing backpressure (canister filter, constricted pipe size, etc) or headpressure (pumping up ten feet from a basement sump for ex). while a circulation pump will have a very steep curve. It will perform extremely well with no back pressure or head pressure but as you introduce these the flow drops off considerably. A circ. pump is ideal for a closed loop or a sump return from a cabinet based sump. As a basic example, a circulation pump may be able to pump 1000 gph at 0 head but only 100 gph at 10 ft. head, whereas the same size pressure pump might be able to only do 800 at 0head but will still be able to push 500 at 10 ft. You'd need to look at the particular pumps specs and flow diagram. Hope that makes sense.

oh...mag drives are not pressure rated. Few submersibles are. Maybe Eheims...not sure.

Tom

Last edited:

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
Pressure rated pumps will only use more electricity when the load (back pressure) on the pump is high - if you use a pressure rated pump and the back pressure (head or restriction) is low, you won't use and many watts as specified in the pump documention.

As back pressure on the pump builds, it compensates and draws more electricity to keep the pressure/volume up.

Hope that helps,

House

samster

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Ha sounds like a turbo charged car -=PpPP back pressure no good!

but forreal mR house what i don't understand is isn't the pump rated for either 1/2 or 3/4 piping? because all the inputs and outputs of external pumps are very tiny? if u widen the input and output it still has alot of restriction on the inlet n outlet of the pump? so how much of a differnt would it be? and isn't pressure coming out of the pump moving water stronger? then a softer more opened pipe? doesnt it take more time for the water to fill up the wider piping?

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: