b-ridge

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 87.8%
79   11   0
I can't get this to grow for nothing. It keeps breaking apart and thinning out. I keep,hearing different ways of keeping it. Some say little flow. Some say a lot of flow. Some say tumble. Some say don't.
I have my chaeto in a 75 gallon fuge with just live rock no sand. I built a wall with the rocks so the chaeto won't go flowing all around the tank. Next to my fuge is a 125 gallon sump which is lower than the fuge so the water is gravity fed to it. There's a drain coming from the main tank that goes straight to the fuge. This is set for a slow flow. I have the chaeto right underneath the drain to capture any and everything that comes down. I have a little seio powerhead in there for flow. I am using a t5 lighting strip that has the bulbs that are supposovely made for macro.
Any tips on what I should do? Thanks in advance

TommyP

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
81   0   0
I can't get this to grow for nothing. It keeps breaking apart and thinning out. I keep,hearing different ways of keeping it. Some say little flow. Some say a lot of flow. Some say tumble. Some say don't.
I have my chaeto in a 75 gallon fuge with just live rock no sand. I built a wall with the rocks so the chaeto won't go flowing all around the tank. Next to my fuge is a 125 gallon sump which is lower than the fuge so the water is gravity fed to it. There's a drain coming from the main tank that goes straight to the fuge. This is set for a slow flow. I have the chaeto right underneath the drain to capture any and everything that comes down. I have a little seio powerhead in there for flow. I am using a t5 lighting strip that has the bulbs that are supposovely made for macro.
Any tips on what I should do? Thanks in advance

It could be possible that you don't have many nutrients in your system feeding the chaeto. Mine grows ok but not too fast. Every few months I'll trim and sell.

TommyP

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
81   0   0
Trust me there's nutrients. Nitrate is 30-40 and phosphate is up there also

Hmm. My sump is a lot smaller but I have a fuge section in my 20 long and I have just the flow from my return going across the chaeto I also have dragons breath that's growing nicely.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405787059.322178.jpg

I leave the light on 24/7 and change it out only when it blows or every 6 mo. Cheap hd light with a clip on housing. Maybe try that?

b-ridge

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 87.8%
79   11   0
I have plenty of chaeto. Much more than a handful. I beleive the lighting is strong enough. There t5 lights.

Maybe I will turn the little seio pump off and just use the flow of the drain. I have the cheap lights from hd also. Keeping the lights on 24/7 won't that throw off the ph balance

vio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
271   3   0
I have plenty of chaeto. Much more than a handful. I beleive the lighting is strong enough. There t5 lights.

Maybe I will turn the little seio pump off and just use the flow of the drain. I have the cheap lights from hd also. Keeping the lights on 24/7 won't that throw off the ph balance

I would drop the light to max. 16/from 24, reverse the main tank, i find up more flow (NOT Jacuzzi way, using power heads) some like Korallia ,Tunze etc. wide flow, more space, 2700 K - 3000 K fluorescent bulb, works, just fine 4 me.

Reef lover24

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
115   0   0
B-ridge I feel on the same page as you.. I have a light on it because I as well have live rock but no sand in the fuge. I actually put the cheato in the bffles between chambers to see if this worked. It seems to be some growth but very minimal at that, and I know their are nutrients in the tank that it needs to grow. I was wondering why its not growing as people tell me every two weeks it should double in size. Tagging along on this post

TommyP

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
81   0   0

I have noticed that my pH is a little high, this may be the case. Didn't think of it until you just mentioned it. Do reverse light cycle then.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: