Rating - 100%
64   0   0
jiggy :mad: :irked:

do not siphon the sand out with the rock, coral in the tank... take everything out and place in a holding rubbermade bucket with a heater a powerhead (for flow) they will be ok for a while.. i would try to finish up withing 8 hours max....

make up some rodi salt water before hand for extra water that u will def. need to fill the rest of ur tank... once ur done siphoning out and cleaning u can place the new sand in the tank... when ur ready to fill her back up place a clean big industrial garbage bag, if you have over the sand so when you fill up the tank u have a minimal sandstorm... once u get enough water in there take up the garbage bag slowly... then fill the rest of the tank up... let the tank equalize itself with its par. and then u can restock the tank when all is well...

how much live rock do u have :scratch:

on ur other thread it doesnt seem like ur looking for us to help you figure out whats wrong.. u just want a yes take out ur sandbed cause thats the problem answer. when you really dont no the problem....

have u checked ur phosphates and have u done wat the others have said on the other thread ?....

Last edited:

wxl14

Wexel
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I did was I got some rubbermaid tanks placed everything in the tanks with powerheads. cleaned all the Substrate out of the tank. then I placed new sand in. I covered it with plastice bags and slowely filled the tank with water. then after it was half way full I removed the plastic bags covering the sand and finished topping of the water. Replaced all the livestock and the tank ran fine after. You have to be efficient and organized and you should be fine. Also you may want to have some new water on the side because you will need more water since you are removing sand. Should not be that hard. It took me about 6 hours to do in a 90 gallon.

xxnonamexx

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphates are 0. Ever since the RO/DI the past 6 months phosphates always been 0. You are right not positive on the cause of the problem. After reading on this board numerous people have had huge success w/o the sand. I am not looking to add the sand back as you mentioned I am looking to get rid of it for good along with the nitrates trapped under it.

wxl14

Wexel
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well then it makes it a lot easier. just take everything out and put back what you want. But you should make sure you have enough live rock in the tank

meschaefer

One to Ignore
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Be carefull, your sand is providing biological filtration. i wouldn't remove it all at once. I would take a little bit out each week for a number of weeks, or you risk that your tank will cycle.

DonCisco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
not only the filtration, but also the calcium carbonate of aragonite helps as a PH buffer. If it was me, I would ask Jon (JHale), where he got the calcium carbonate crystals that he got for his tank... and use that instead of sand. He mentioned that the manufacturer of the substrate is in BK

DevIouS

- Untitled -
Rating - 100%
108   0   0
Here is the thread Tony & wxl14 are refering to:

http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/general-discussion/15648-crushed-coral-substrate.html

xxnonamexx said:
Phosphates are 0. Ever since the RO/DI the past 6 months phosphates always been 0. You are right not positive on the cause of the problem. After reading on this board numerous people have had huge success w/o the sand. I am not looking to add the sand back as you mentioned I am looking to get rid of it for good along with the nitrates trapped under it

Going BB is not as simple & easy as it sounds, nor is it a solution if you are having a current problem..
You really need to do more research on that topic.
Find out the pro's & con's, equipment needed & also which live-stock will be affected.

Last edited:

DevIouS

- Untitled -
Rating - 100%
108   0   0
:fight2: Lets all just get along. This could get ugly. DSB v BB fghts usually end up in at least name calling :argue:

Huh?
:confused:

Never said one was better that the other...
My comment:

Going BB is not as simple & easy as it sounds, nor is it a solution if you are having a current problem..
You really need to do more research on that topic.
Find out the pro's & con's, equipment needed & also which live-stock will be affected.

To be prepared & not just jump into it.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: