Cibo

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I was thinking of getting a small light blue sponge and wanted to know if they are reef safe aand what type of care do they need it is no bigger than 1 1/2' also do they grow fast?

thanks

:splitspin :splitspin :splitspin :splitspin :splitspin

Liz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
What does this coral look like? :scratchch
I had a red ball sponge, it passed away. That was when we had the heat wave (to hot) and it screwed everything in my tank.:irked:
All sponges are delicate and they do not req. bright lights.

Reefer420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I think most sponges are reef safe from what I know - but are filter feeders so will require special care. Also a large one dying can mess up your tank pretty badly!

partobe

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have had my tank up for about a yr now and turned it into a reef tank about 8 months ago. One day I notice a light blue thing on on of my rocks. I posted pix of it on another site and it turned out to be a sponge. From what I was told they only require filter food just like a feather duster. It's been in the tank for several months and has caused no problems. hope that helps a little.
Patrick

scarf_ace1981

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
there are several types of sponges that may grow in your tank. many come as hitchikers on LR. the bigger more delicate sponges that can be bought @ LFS require phyto(i believe). they need some flow so they may filter the water, light is not really important(i think). a combination of not enough flow and too much light will just cause algae to grow on the sponge. and too much flow is not good either. if you want to try it out go ahead, just make sure it's a small sponge. if you have success then try a bigger one.

hope this helps.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: