Quang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I was just wondering has anyone seen, used, or heard of a skimmer that can be used pumpless, in other words, gravity fed?

Is that possible?

I'm thinking along the lines of a skimmer with some sort of built-in air injection system and just needs a source to input water.
Ideally, a skimmer that has these traits can function just being fed water from an overflow box, lets say...right? With maybe a valve to adjust/regulate the pressure.

If possible, whats the pros & cons?

Last edited:

Quang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
yeah T, but I'm talking about no pump at all.
The water is being chopped/air injected through some part of the skimmer itself.

aaron23

!THE ULTIMATE REEFER!
Rating - 98.3%
234   4   0
yea there are many people who are skimmer pumpless who use the drains soley for the purpose of their skimmer. They kinda think like if the drains are going into the skimmer then there wouldnt be any dirty water escaping the skimmer as if the skimmer were either in sump or hangged on.

Quang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Thx, aaron. Got any links?
This whole concept is new to me and if it's already in wide-spread usage then I'm a dumb@ss. :lol:

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
H20 on Queens Blvd. uses a skimmer like this. The drained water falls about 10ft into his basement, which falls into the reaction box of a 6 ft skimmer. It skims but it doesn't look that great.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: