Status
Not open for further replies.

Domboski

No Coral Here
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
If you look up Petland in the dictionary it should say "ich"

I happen to be in a Petland buying crickets when I noticed they had a Clown Trigger priced at $20. I could not resist. The smile on my face got even bigger when I got to the counter and the cashier said it was priced wrong but they would have to give it to me for $20 anyway.

I know buying anything from Petland or Petco is taking a risk but it looked healthy. I put him in a tank that is well established and has no problems.

Guess what, the damn thing has ich!! I can't believe it. What do they do to their animals that makes them so weak? Should I worry about the other fish now? I imagine since they have been ich free up until this point that they are healthy enough to fight it off or am I crazy?

Sorry.... just letting off some steam :irked:

Domboski

No Coral Here
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
BTW, I quranteened the fish too! This brings up a good point about the "Is there a such thing as an ich free system?" subject. No ich for over a year (I believe) even when adding locally caught Naked Gobies. There fish are not taken care of well enough to fight it off. It amazes me.

House (or anyone else), is there anything I can be doing besides removing the trigger to prevent an outbreak of death?

samster

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
i think the fish gets a better immunity to the ich if they caught it before mabe it was a ich free fish thats why its so weak but u might have ich in ur system? but because ur fish built a stronger immunity to it its doesnt affect them? but when u added in a new fish which coulda been stressed from the transfer that created him to catch the ich?

all fish bought from store has the same % chances of carrying ich i dunno why everyone would be like because its from petland petco etc? i've seen fish at fishtown being scooped up to customers with ich on it. I've lost plenty of fish to ich so u live and u learn if u QT it why is he in the system with ich?

Domboski

No Coral Here
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
It is weird. You have a point. It seems like Petland is the absolute worst place to get Saltwater fish. I don't know why the ich is in the sytem. In fact, I was thinking more about this tank and realized, I have never had an ich problem before. I am trying to think what I have added that may have brought the ich in and the only thing I can think of is maybe it was in the water I added with Peppermint Shrimp.

Your right though, you live and learn. I don't think he is going to die though. He doesn't have it bad.

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 100%
237   0   0
well since youre not going to take out the fish ,try use garlic in the food when feeding them ,also make sure the fish is not getting bothered by any other fish ,Live and learn we all do

Good luck

Domboski

No Coral Here
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
Because it is nearly impossible to have an ich free system (let the debate begin). So if any of your fish are week, they are more likely to get disease (fact). I have nearly 40 fish in this 300 gallon system and no one has had ich. I have 3 tangs as well so if there was a problem, they certainly would be the first to get it. QT was six weeks. He did not show signs of ich but his fins were beat up a little so I treated him with Maracyn & M two.

Why do I bash Petland? Because they don't take care of their animals!! When was the last time you visited one? I know their is some that are ok but most don't.

Again, weak fish are more likely to get disease and it seems that ALL of their fish are week. I even see Damsels dead in their tanks.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
I believe the point being made here has nothing to do with weak fish coming down with stress induced ich. The issue is that you bashed Petland even after you had the fish in QT for six weeks. At what point in time does Petland get let off the hook? We're all assuming that the trigger showed no signs of ich in your QT at the end of your six week QT isolation. Otherwise you wouldn't have introduced it into your display. Since you did introduce it to your display the fish apparently looked fine.

The reasons people QT their newly acquired fish is to observe it more closely than you were able to in the vendors holding tank, allow any parasitic infection to run its course, and, to strenghten the immune system of a stressed fish (which they all are when newly acquired). These issues are not exclusive to Petland.

With all that being said, I agree that the big box pet stores are not ideal holding systems for our delicate animals. However, you totally negated any blame to Petland when you put your fish through six weeks of QT and it came out healthy.

swimmer

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
Because it is nearly impossible to have an ich free system (let the debate begin). So if any of your fish are week, they are more likely to get disease (fact). I have nearly 40 fish in this 300 gallon system and no one has had ich. I have 3 tangs as well so if there was a problem, they certainly would be the first to get it. QT was six weeks. He did not show signs of ich but his fins were beat up a little so I treated him with Maracyn & M two.

Why do I bash Petland? Because they don't take care of their animals!! When was the last time you visited one? I know their is some that are ok but most don't.

Again, weak fish are more likely to get disease and it seems that ALL of their fish are week. I even see Damsels dead in their tanks.

Bashing Petland for not taking care of their animals is one thing and probably not far from the truth, but accusing them of introducing Ich to your system, based on the information you have provided, is wrong.

Ich would have gone through several cycles of life in 6 weeks, which would be spotted. 6 weeks is also a fair amount of time to improve the overall health of a weak Petland fish. Saying your 3 tangs never got Ich doesn't prove your system is Ich free, it proves you've grown them to be strong and resistant to diseases which prey on weaker specimens.

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
345   0   0

I just don't understand how you can bash Petland knowing all of this prior to making the purchase. No one forced you buy the trigger. If you say that ALL of their fish seem weak, why bother to even make the purchase? It's on you for impulse buying and you put through a six week QT, so you can't "blame" Petland.

BTW just curious how'd you move the fish from the QT to the existing tank? Are all parameters the same? Did you just dump him into the system? Lots of other things could cause stress after 6 weeks of being in your systems.

-Kris

bigbris1

Re-reefer
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Dom, if you're referring to the Petland around the corner on 23rd street I would never buy anything live from them to put in my tank. Their tanks never look like they are taken care of. Plus, the employees almost never know anything about saltwater, all this coming from a former Petland employee.

The cleaner shrimp you got from me should help out with the ich & I would chance it & ride it out hoping the clown trigger will build a greater immunity to ich as it has now. Hope all turns out well for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: