marino6t9

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
After a few top-offs for the past 3 weeks, my calcium went down from 650 to 500 and it appears that it's settled there co'z i did a few more top offs after it reached that level but doesn't go down anymore. Any suggestions other than SPS', CLAMS (LIVESTOCK) coz i know they eat up a lot of calcium.

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
If it doesn't go down anymore, you'll never need to add anymore calcium to your tank :lol:

But if you dont have any SPS or clams, then nothing is really absorbing the calcium so it wouldn't really go down. It probably went down before because it was precipitating

marino6t9

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
magnesium and alkalinity are perfect. only problem is my calcium. well i guess i really need sps' and clams then huh. i am now thinking that it has something to do with our water in the area which is well water. TDS w/o ro unit ranges from 650 to 700 ppm which i am now starting to believe that it has something to do with my calcium level because well water is very rich in minerals.

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
magnesium and alkalinity are perfect. only problem is my calcium.

I'd be surprised if they were perfect, especially with calcium that high. It's rarely the case that calcium is the only problem, since those parameters are so closely linked. What are your magnesium and alkalinity levels, as well as your pH?

marino6t9

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i guess i surprised you then. btw i am using salifert test kits and i just tested my parameters again and only the calcium like i said is the problem.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
alk is a lil low (most tend to keep it within 10-11 dkh)
mag is a lil high (most tend to keep it within 1350 ppm)
salinity is low (most tend to keep it within 1.026)
ph is ok at 8.2... i like to keep mine at 8.3-8.4

the levels i have said are pretty much perfect.... ;)

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Like you said, your calcium is too high:D
When adding the alk and calcium they need to be added in equal doses. In your case the calcium was added in higher doses leading to your current problem.

There are two ways to correct this

1: massive water changes - no fun
2. raise your alk on the higher side of the scale to about 11dkh and the issue will correct itself over a short time.

As long as your alk levels are substantially lower your problems will persist.

How do you dose anyway? Is it 2 part, calcium reactor or a premade supplement?

meschaefer

One to Ignore
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
You don't mention that you are having problems. Just because it doesn't fall within the expected/accepted range doesn't mean you need to do anything about it.

Look at the amount of people on this board who have supposidly high nitrates or low PH and yet have great looking tanks.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: