• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Clown guru

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
In this hobby, mostly everything is expensive! A serious hobbyist, always looking for unique, rare and amazing colors. Yet everyone has there own preferences. You have two groups one who has the money to spend on highend, and those that will wait for price to drop considerably, or would settle for a look alike. The bottom-line those that want it that bad will buy it, and don't care of the risk. Truthfully, in my opinion if I was looking at someone DT one with a Premium Picasso or a Doni's Snowcasso pair to me I would find a Picasso more appealing then a lightening aka maroon clownfish. If the lightening was $40 or even $100 is still a maroon clownfish, as the gold nugget. I rather spend $150-$300 for a Picasso because is more colorful. A lot of time we want something we can't have, but we find the means and get it, then realized is not all that it was....usually how's things happen in life...LOL That is my opinion...

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
People spend over $100 on a single polyp of zoanthid or tiny 1/8" mushroom and you think $400+ for a fish is a lot? Relative to the super high end corals the lightning clown is a bargain.
I also dont recall reading this push back about the gold nugget maroon clowns when they came out.... Maybe the lightning is just so well known that everyone has read about it vs the GN that was not well known or well publicized.

Clown guru

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
A snowcasso is worth $400+ all day. Sure you pay for the advertisement on reef builder and other publication, this pay out for one nut job to pay $16k good for the seller. Dam what a score, the buyer is bore out of his mine, and have that cash to burn.But put these to fish together side by side, and do a poll, which would sell the most, had that fish is cheaper than a ugly lighting....LOL

saltwaterinbrooklyn

Pro hobby anti profit!
Rating - 100%
132   0   0
This is true , some people have to have it at all cost !! But even those who have the money may not want to gamble the fish they have on a maroon death clown , it's just a maroon with a bad boy jacket on , and it may cost you more than the fish , but truthfully , I have seen other designer clowns with more eye catching appeal.

tomtoothdoc

GOLFER WANNABE
Rating - 100%
390   0   0
The size issue is also going to be a problem too, as Maroon clowns get very large, which will be a problem in most people reef tanks.

it also gets more territorial as it gets bigger. i had to literally fish out the gold stripe maroon....with crushed barbed hook and all. it had drawn blood from my hand several times.....once too many so it had to go. it was about 4-5 " long and 2-3" thick.....built like a linebacker.

RARECLOWNSNJ

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
This fish is very cool looking but the its not like Percula or Ocellaris variants where they are finding them all over the place in Coral Triangle. There is only a couple known fish with this pattern from the same location.

I dont think SA will try to breed them because Sea and Reef did it first. Im not sure these fish will be that sought out that someone else will try to breed them. There is a bunch of clownfish on the horizon that are captive bred that im sure will follow the same fate. No one really wants them or cares.

Perfect example is my pair breeding akinydnos, Couldnt sell one pair of juvenile fish, NO one wanted them, sold them to large breeding company and they breed them and then couldnt sell them either.

People only really like the percula and ocellaris ones

saltwaterinbrooklyn

Pro hobby anti profit!
Rating - 100%
132   0   0
It's the way they swim, or look for some people , for me it's the look and physical style the fish carries , I feel sorry for the people who get stuck with these fish in hopes of flipping a great profit ......... But it's all supply and demand , apparently the supply is there but demand is week

Clown guru

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Rareclownfishj - Guarantee SA will also breed them, just as SA came out with the frostbite, then after Sea and Reef were breeding them also. But I'm with you Percula (Picasso) clownfish is a better looking clownfish.
Shauns220 - this is Salt topic, and a very good topic, he is just voicing his opinion and asking members here what is there take on the Lighting. Of course there will be a few here and in other parts of the world that will like the Lighting! A small percentage, and if your one of the few, no one can take that away from you.

C

Cu455

Rating - 100%
132   0   0
I think they are a pretty cool fish. I would by one for $70 not $400. That's because I am not really into clowns. I have spent similar money on fish which I liked.

The thing with clowns is breeding them isn't that hard relative to other fish so prices are bound to fall.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: